How do I tell the Doctor I don't want to rotate baby!? Has anyone ever had their baby rotated!?

I am 32 weeks pregnant and my baby is still breech....I know that he still has quite a few weeks to flip into the head down position BUT I really don't think that he is going to! He is a pretty mellow baby and he has always been head up, he has never been one to do flips and flop around in there! My Daughter did all the time when I was pregnant with her! So I really think that he is going to continue to stay the way he has been the last 32 weeks!! The doctor mentioned something sending me in to have the baby rotated....I have heard a TON of horror stories about it and I am just not comfortable with doing it. I'd rather just have the C section done. I'm nervous that my Doctor is going to be upset or try to convince me to do it. Have any of you had your baby rotated? If yes, how many weeks were you when they did it!? Thanks :)

nat1387

Asked by nat1387 at 6:55 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Yes I had my daughter rotated. It didn't hurt. It was fine.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:56 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• How many weeks pregnant were you when they did it!?
    nat1387

Comment by nat1387 (original poster) at 6:58 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I personally just wouldn't do it because of the horror stories i have heard. They tried to do it with me but I stopped them in the middle, for me it was hard and I just felt like something was goign to rip in there! EKK. I've had 3 c-sections for different reasons though and will have my last in may
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 7:04 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Yes, it can be painful, but having the baby rotated is much safer than a c-section or other complications. Research "spinning babies" and look at all the things you can do at home too to help encourage your baby to turn.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 7:06 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• You stand up for yourself. Your doctor is not the beginning and end of what happens to you, you are. You get the final say and if you don't want it done then you don't get it done! I personally wouldn't want to have him/her rotated either.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:34 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• from what ive heard and been told, sometimes babies flip at the last minute, it all depends on them.... id wait a little longer...
    Erzy

Answer by Erzy at 7:53 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I have seen them do it on TV, and I wouldnt want it done either! It looks soooo painful.
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 8:02 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• External version, as it's called, is very dangerous if it's performed by a practitioner that doesn't have much experience in it. For most women, it's very painful, and it doesn't have a high success rate. You're better off using natural methods to try to flip your baby. Try doing headstands in and indoor swimming pool. You can also try doing the cat/cow yoga poses. I'm not a big advocate for c-sections, but I'm even less of one for e-versions. They're incredibly dangerous, and frankly, not worth the risks, which include the cord getting caught and/or tightening around something it's already caught on, and Baby's limbs being injured or broken. Plus, it can disrupt the placenta.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:08 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Also, if they do it this early, there's a good chance Baby will decide to flip back to where he/she was comfortable. Babies have been known to flip on their own all the time. I've known them to flip while sitting at a midwife's appointment! Try talking to your baby, too. A little teamwork helps! =)
    But I agree that you should stand up for yourself if you don't want this procedure done. Arm yourself with some research if you like, and tell her, "I've done some research, and I'm just not comfortable with having this done. I'd like to give the baby more time." You cam even wait to have a c-section until you go into labor naturally, if you choose to. It's healthier, ultimately, for Baby to experience some labor hormones, and then you can rest assured it's time. The risk is that you may have to wait for emergency c-sections ahead of you, and you might not get in there as soon as they want you in.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:13 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Why do either??

I think that cesareans should be saved for emergencies because they are so risky-- not used for a variation of normal.

You have plenty of options, you might consider alternatives. Let me know if you want more info about them.
    ;-)

"Doctor, thanks for suggesting the version but I decided that I don't want to do it. Thanks anyway!"
    ~the end~

;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:45 AM on Nov. 20, 2010