Problems since we started preschool...

My four year old was a far from perfect child, but mostly well behaved before she started preschool, but ever since then she's become something of a terror! I've gone in and spoken to the teachers and they say her behavior at school is wonderful. I know them from when my son went there and I know nothing bad is happening to her there, but I think it has something to do with asserting her independence and expressing herself. She "doesn't want to" do anything I ask and it becomes a screaming fit. She is disciplined, time outs, sent to bed, sometimes a swat on the butt, but nothing works. I know independence and expression is healthy, but how to I encourage it and still take care of the brattiness before she becomes one of those kids no one wants to be around?

BabyLove1982

Asked by BabyLove1982 at 11:21 AM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• u just have to be consistant is what i hear lol. r u a sahm? if so, it may have to do with not having as much of ur attention now that she isn't home all day with u.
    beward79

Answer by beward79 at 11:32 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I have a son the same age and he started doing the same thing. I think it's testing the boundries and seeing how far they can get in their independance. With my son we are trying to show him things he can be more independant with, but still being firm on boundries and not letting him just tell us he doesn't want to do something. He still cries for a second, but knows that mom and dad are not letting him just do what he wants. He has settled down a lot since we have been more firm in our discipline. Hope this helps!
    scaruso08

Answer by scaruso08 at 11:34 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• My daughter was the same way. In school she is the perfect student, but when she got home it was the opposite! I talked to her teachers and they were shocked to hear that she acted that way at home. It seemed as though our home was like her comfort zone, so she could just speak to people and behave any way she pleased. So, we got tough. When she would give attitude or throw fits, we took away some of her favorite possessions, time-outs, writing sentences, etc. Not all at the same time! LOL! It took a while, but it finally started to work. She finally started to realize that she does have a lot of privleges and that those can easily be taken away. She seems to respect us and her things more since all of this. Not to say we don't still have occasional problems, we do, but now she is quick to make amends and get back to having fun with her family. :) Hope some of this was helpful. Good luck to you!
    supermomkell

Answer by supermomkell at 11:38 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• You hit the nail on the head,she is definately flexing her miss independent muscle.... Also, she may resnt you a little for puting her in pre-school, so she acts out at home... This will pass and is totaly normal. When my son did this at first I bought a chart and stickers and ut it on the fridge (like at his pre-school) when he did good he pu a sticker. he was familiar with this behavior and enjoyed that we did his at hoem like at school. I saw an improvement in the end and we still use the chart.
    superchik

Answer by superchik at 6:30 PM on Nov. 4, 2008