im scared and worried

my blood work came back abnormal and i am scared that there is something wrong with the baby i cant remember what the test was for but i will be 19 weeks tomorrow if that helps i think it was the afp or avp im scared

wiggsbabe

Asked by wiggsbabe at 6:56 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• We cant really help unless u know the risk factos or what the test was. I posted on your other ? too.
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 7:10 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• i dont know didnt tell me i have a doc apt at 9am tomorrow they just told me my blood work came back abnormal
    wiggsbabe

Comment by wiggsbabe (original poster) at 7:11 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Was this genetic testing by any chances?
    Anonymous

• for my triple sec it came back abnormal but they did a level 2 u/s and everything was fine
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 7:12 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• AFP is the alpha feta protein test. It assesses your risk only of having a child with a chromosomal abnormality such as downs syndrome. With my 2nd son mine came back as higher risk at 1 in 158 which is basically a 0.07% out of 100 chance of the child having a chromosomal problem. That was then follow up with a level 2 ultrasound where they look for certain markers of an abnormality...some things are considered soft markers and other things are considered more serious. You need to ask your doctor what your risk assessment was. Also keep in mind that there are lots of false positives with the AFP for many reasons including if the dates are slightly off. The only test that will tell you 100% if there is a problem is an amnio. Good Luck! I'm sure it will all be fine!
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 7:13 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• im not sure i think it was the avp test im just scared all i want is a healthy baby
    wiggsbabe

Comment by wiggsbabe (original poster) at 7:15 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I've never heard of an avp test so it sounds like it was the afp. I'm sure once you speak with doctor you'll feel better. Hang in there! I remember how stressed I was too so I know it's a difficult thing to do.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 7:20 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Also you might want to google Alpha Feta Protein test (or afp test pregnancy) just to understand exactly what it is (along with avp so you can rule that one out)
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 7:21 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Hope everything went ok at your doctor's visit.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 11:44 AM on Nov. 20, 2010