Is it normal for preschoolers to change their name?

My 4.5 year old has changed her name twice in the past month or so. First it was Falawn(I think?) and now it's Rosie.

lizzeh

Asked by lizzeh at 7:30 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Sure, my kids both did it and lots of my preschoolers in class would too. It all part of the pretending phase.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:31 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Ah. Okay. she gets mAd when I forget. :|
    lizzeh

Comment by lizzeh (original poster) at 7:32 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Id say so. My dd hasnt but I wouldnt be worried if she did. Rosie is a character in Calliou so maybe thats why. Its all about experimenting and imagination. Def dont take it the wrong way
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:32 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I don't care that dshe changed it, but I just wasn't sure if it was an acting out thing(cause Dh just deployed) or because she's my child and weird. :(
    lizzeh

Comment by lizzeh (original poster) at 7:33 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• laughingYes definitely! My granddaughter not only changed her name, but mine, her sister's and her mom's!!

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:34 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• My daughter went through a phase where she insisted that we call her "Parker". I have no idea why. It was really funny, and we did call her Parker quite a bit, in a teasing way. She forgot about it after a couple of months, but it was really cute and a fond memory of ours :)
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:43 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• lol my ds changes it to animals... and when hes in animal mode, as we call it, he wont answer to anything but the animal name... like chicken and dog... or t-rex.....
    2boysmommy.js

Answer by 2boysmommy.js at 9:19 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Haha! That's cute and sounds very normal! :)
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 9:58 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• yes, mine has been Sofia, and other names i don't remember she keep on changing. right now she is Dino Kathleene lol, she likes the show Dino Dan. i think it is a part of the growing experience for them is fun and something she asks my name, like she doesn't know it, and i reply with a different name and she just laughs harder and harder everytime i answer with a different name.
    sodapple

Answer by sodapple at 10:56 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• My daughter pretends to be other people sometimes. She is almost 4. She will pretend to be her cousin Abby and I have to call her Abby or else she gets aggravated. I think it's just part of pretend play/role play.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 4:24 PM on Nov. 20, 2010