Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

DD and pneumonia

Question is should I take DD to doctor now at 7:30 (ER) or you think I can wait to call tomorrow in morning. I am not new to the pneumonia thing. All my girls have had it last year. The youngest 2 or 3 times last year and once about a week ago. I am not certain, but pretty sure she has pneumonia. She has had a cold for about 2 weeks now. I thought earlier in the week she was over it and then all the sudden she started up with runny nose yesterday and then by the time I was home from work she was laboring to breathe slightly. She is coughing a good bit. I started to give her breathing treatments (not working great), but only gave her one about an hour ago. I know she will need a steroid and antibiotic. But would you wait till morning or take to ER? She was just playing, now having trouble breathing. I just feel like a worry wart parent!

Answer Question
 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:31 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Kids' Health

Answers (11)
  • I am not the 'rush to the ER' type, but as I just had a nasty bout of pneumonia and ended up in the ER because I could not breathe, I would take her. You don't want it to get worse in the middle of the night and have to rush her there then.
    layh41407

    Answer by layh41407 at 7:42 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

  • absolutely go now. kids get sick so quick. Hugs to you all. :)
    kjrn79

    Answer by kjrn79 at 7:46 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

  • I would not wait if I were you. Pnemonia is a scary thing. When my son was 16 y/o, he started w/ a cough on a Friday, started running a fever over the weekend, & by Monday, he was hospitalized in critical condition w/ a 66% blood oxygen level & 2 liters of fluid in his chest! Had I listened to his stupid doctor & given it a few days, he wouldn't be here! Please dont wait!
    mrsmom110

    Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:48 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

  • I think not being able to breathe properly is an emergency. It will only get worse as she attempts to sleep thru the night. I'd go ahead and get the antibiotic and anything else she may need now. Breathing can't exactly wait.
    2autisticsmom

    Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:55 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

  • If she's having problems breathing it needs to be dealt with immediatly.
    PhilsBabyMama

    Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 9:03 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

  • If she is having trouble breathing and a breathing treatment isn't working, she needs to go to the ER. Take her now and get her treated easier or wait and she stops breathing and you need a ride in the ambulance and a hospital stay.
    tyfry7496

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:57 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

  • if she is having trouble breathing, take her in!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

    Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 1:11 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

  • I thikn that you will know if she really needs to go. If her trouble breathing is serious I would take her in.
    KTMOM

    Answer by KTMOM at 10:35 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

  • trouble breathing warrants an ER visit... then a talk with the DR about why your kiddos have pneumonia so often. it's not normal or good to have it that often.
    asil

    Answer by asil at 6:51 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

  • i would have already taken her!
    tonyalynn

    Answer by tonyalynn at 9:25 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN