What could cause a lump on my 2yr olds neck? Has this happened to anyone else? I am trying not to think of the worst but it's hard, please help!

The last couple days my daughter has said every now and then that her neck hurt but when I would look there was nothing there. Well just a few minutes ago when she was sitting on my lap she said it again so I was feeling it and noticed a large lump. So I compaired the sides of her neck and the lump is the size of a golf ball maybe a little bigger but isn't sticking out very far which is why I never noticed it before. My husband just took her to the ER so I won't know for a little while what it is. Has this ever happened to anyone else? I am so scared but trying to stay positive. Thanks in advance......

jnsdrf

Asked by jnsdrf at 7:33 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Kids' Health

• it's probably a swollen lymph node..you can get them in all sorts of places, all threw out your head, and neck, and even the upper shoulder/back area. I got 2 huge swollen lymph nodes from using a q-tip, I guess I scraped off some skin in my ear canal, it infected and the lymph nodes on the back of my head swelled.

She can also get them from hair being pulled up or back too tight, wearing head bands that are too tight...etc.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 7:36 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Sounds like a goiter.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:34 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Honestly, my 16 year old neice just found a huge golf ball size lump in her neck. She hasn't been feeling the greatest either. My sister took her to the doctor and she has an infection in her lymph node.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:36 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Basically swollen lymph nodes are signs that your body is fighting off some sort of infection/irritation/illness. Check for the tight head bands, or pony tails, maybe the q-tip thing? who knows. Put a warm compress on it and see if it goes down.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 7:41 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Could it be a lymph node? Mine always used to swell up when I got sick. Or maybe a thyroglossal duct cyst? Just check with a doc.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 9:00 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Sounds like swollen glands possibly?? Do an update if you get time so we know how she is.
    mbc324

Answer by mbc324 at 9:11 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• It sounds like a swollen lymphnode. It happens to me when I get really bad infections like sinus or chest infections.
    Mipsy

Answer by Mipsy at 9:40 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Thank you all very much for the comments and ideas! The dr said she has some infected lymph nodes from some dental work she had done a little over a week ago. She's now on antibiotics for the next couple weeks. Thank you all again!!! (HUGS)
    jnsdrf

Comment by jnsdrf (original poster) at 5:28 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• glad she's ok!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 1:08 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Glad to hear she will be ok.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:34 AM on Nov. 21, 2010