Does it suprise you that Obama is doing this?????????

While Congress is out of session Obama is pushing ahead with the largest arms deal in US history.

$60 billion dollars worth to Saudi Arabia.

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 7:36 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• He needs to do something to help pay for his latest trip...

agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 9:05 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Here, a link for those who want to read the full story without spin...

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2010/11/19/60b_arms_deal_with_saudi_arabia_goes_through/

Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:40 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• "The Defense Department notified Congress of the plan last month, and lawmakers had 30 days to try to block or amend the deal. But with no loud objections voiced by Israel, the matter received little debate and lawmakers focused their attention on this month's midterm elections.

The 10-year deal is one of the largest-ever single U.S. arms sales. It is intended to strengthen Saudi defense forces as a counter to Iran's growing power in the Gulf region."

This is from the Boston.com link. I guess I don't know what to say...not really a fan, but kind of SOP, isn't it? Nobody said anything, right? It wasn't a secret. These kind of deals happen on the time, I'm sure the defense of it is to strengthen the relationship between the US and Saudi, and strengthen our position against Iran.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 8:13 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Hmm, Congress was notified and nobody (INCLUDING Republicans) objected. Neither did Israel. And you do, because...? Money is a bad thing?
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:39 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• your (Carpy) response in September to this announcment

Saudi's are PAYING for it. My thoughts are they that the Saudi's are afraid of Iran. They have even given Israel permission to use their airspace. They need to defend themselves from Iran.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:19 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• your (Carpy) response in September to this announcment

______________________________
    lol, that is awesome, sweet.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 8:33 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I wish they had a backpedaling sweet pea.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 8:53 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

•  

Because so many people don't pay that much attention ...So now YOU are assessing who is paying attention? I was paying attention in Sept. when it was announced....

and the multiple??? was just for affect.  Bullish....you make it seem as though this was a secret deal and he is pushing something through....

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:02 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• So what?

Seems to me like we could use the money & $50 billion in arms must create some jobs...right?
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 7:52 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• So one person wanted the deal blocked? I wouldn't equate that with outrage.

I still don't understand what the big deal is...what's the controversey?
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 8:13 PM on Nov. 19, 2010