my bf ours our son in the corner and he is 18 months

my bf outs our son in the corner and he is 18 months, we argue over not this because i do not agree with this. I feel like it is too harsh for his age because he does not understand quite as well. Im just wondering if its ok to be doing this?

maldy

Asked by maldy at 8:45 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He's way too young in my opinion.
    skitNbearsmom

Answer by skitNbearsmom at 8:46 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• What is he learning in the corner? Poor baby.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 8:49 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• we put our two year old in time out. works amazing.we Do one minute per year so your son would be a minute. We dint believe in spanking
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 8:51 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I put my 18 month old in the time out corner just a couple of hours ago, because she hit me, and kept hitting even after re-directing, etc. She's seen her older brother do time outs so she waited patiently in the corner for the entire 30 seconds. Afterwards I showed her how to do "nice touch". I guess I don't think they fully understand, but they need to be taught early that if they misbehave, they will be removed from the situation.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 9:06 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I put my 17 month old on a chair in the living room for her time-out. Sometimes not all disciplinary methods work, and time-out works for us when all else fails.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 9:09 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Do you use timeouts? Same thing.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:15 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I don't know, I guess if all else fails when he's misbehaving a minute in the corner won't hurt him. It's better than smacking him as some Dad or BF's do now of days, as long as he knows WHY he's in the corner.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 12:45 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• My DD is 18 months old and she has been put in time out since she was 12 months. We put her in a corner for 1 minute and ask her if she is ready to be nice, if she says no, we leave her in ther another minute and ask again.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 3:15 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• as parents we all may think are children are to young and don't understand and that's when we get slaped in the face with reality... yes they do know when there doing something bad and if it hurts... they do learn this at a very young age... just like how they cry to get what they want from whom ever.... kids are very smart... so putting them in the corner is not a bad thing... there is nothing for them to do in a corner and that in all is punishment enough...
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 8:07 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• MY son was very smart at 18 months and knew exactly when he was misbehaving. I discipline according to the misbehavior and when it is over he tells me why he got in trouble. If you let them get away with stuff early on, it will only get harder for you to get control of the situation when they are older. I do not think your child is being treated wrong for their age at all. If the child does not like the corner then he will behave better.
    meg4763

Answer by meg4763 at 8:25 PM on Nov. 20, 2010