What do you do when your kids believe in something even when you tell them it isn't real?

So, I told my kids from square one that Santa Clause isn't real. I told them there was a man named St. Nicholas. ANYHOW, today they had school pictures where a guy came in dressed like Santa and had a real beard. There was also a lady dressed like Mrs. Clause and she told my 5 year old he had reindeer.

Now my daughter told me I lied because the guy had a real beard so he really IS Santa and Mrs. Clause said he has reindeer.... so he HAS to be real.

Lol, THEN she proceeded to tell me that I should really let my kids be bad because then I won't have to buy them Christmas presents because only good kids get presents from Santa. "He still loves you.... but you can't get a present for being bad!" *FacePalm*

So, what do I do now? Just go with it? I haven't said anything yet but, "Okay baby. Believe what you want to but mommy told you what she believes."

Oh, and for all of you who might say I am ruining their holidays or devastating them... that isn't true considering it doesn't devastate them as they have never had this character built up into some amazing person in their minds. And they still enjoy snowmen and playing games involving the character Santa... but they treat him (typically) more or less the same as they do someone like Spongebob.... more like a cartoon or something.

Still fun, just not real.

wreath

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 8:47 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• i am pretty sure my 6yr old doesnt believe in santa anymore (although she will tell crazy stories about how santa came to be such as an orphaned baby because of killer snowmen) but my younger ones do. ive never really talked about santa. when i found out about santa i was not crushed though, i was just kinda like oh ok, still got presents wether i believed or not. i dont give my kids gifts just because they believe in santa they would get the same gifts wether they believed some fat guy snuck in the house or mommy went shopping and hid stuff in the closet all year. when my mom told me that santa wasnt real she explained about st nicholas (i was raised catholic so i pretty much heard about it every year anyway) and then she told us we carry things out in his memory every year and it reminds to be generous, maybe you could explain like that. but kids are going to believe some crazy stuff no matter what we tell them.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 4:47 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• kids stockingLOL! Girl, I was told there wasn't a Santa Claus when I was about 7, an Easter Bunny when I was about 7, Tooth Fairy, etc.. my soul was never crushed. It was just all the part of the fun! Really, it gets kind of funny when you finally put it all together anyway. I mean, I always wondered how that furry bunny never left any tracks!

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:00 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I let my kids believe as long as they want. Seven is a little early in my book, but all kids are different. Last year was our first without Santa presents - and they were 14 and 10 (and it was our 10 year old who announced that Santa wasn't real, our 14 year old was still happy to go along).
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:05 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Let them believe whatever they want. You are going to get them stuff anyway. Who cares where they think it came from.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 8:51 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• kids can handle alot more then you think they can. don't worry they will find out in their time and will get over it. we all did. i straight out told my little cousin about the easter bunny. he was 8. and then i told him about santa. everyone was mad at me but he was fine. i love the whole santa , easter bunny thing. its just part of childhood. childhood we believe in alot of innocent things. its just part of the innocents that goes away when they find out. it will all work out.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:46 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• i'm 25 and i still get gifts from santa. even when i found out, my parents still gave me gifts from santa. It is really special. My hubby doesn't like lying and saying that santa is real either. but it really takes the fun away (the magic) when you tell your kids there's no such thing as something. So he goes along with it for me.

The title of this post really threw me off. i thought it was about religion or something...
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 3:10 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I don't care if they think it came from someone else... I care that they will get their souls crushed when they find out there isn't really soem magical flying guy bringing presents in the night.
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 8:52 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I was C-R-U-S-H-E-D when I found out. And my oldest is SUPER sensitive.... :(
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 9:01 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• None of my children ever believed in Santa. I never felt the need to lie to them about some fat man that can provide presents to all the good kids BUT if they did tell me they believed and I was wrong they would be in for a rude awakening on Christmas morning when their siblings got gifts from mom and dad and they were waiting for Santa Claus.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 9:47 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Well, I'm not going to not give my babies presents for believing in something such as Santa Clause. I'm an adult. Not a child.
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 9:51 PM on Nov. 19, 2010