Dropping Daytime nap already???

My daughter is 2 1/2 and isn't really napping during the day anymore. Up until now, she has been a really consistent sleeper. We took the pacifier away just after she turned 2 and she had an adjustment period with difficult sleeping and then did fine for a few weeks. Then we started potty training and somewhere in the middle of potty training, she stopped taking daytime naps. This has been going on for a couple of months now. I put her down for her nap every day as usual but she only naps maybe one a week or so. If she doesn't nap, I at least make her have some quiet time in her room for about an hour or an hour and a half. (She seems happy in there...talks and sings songs and plays). She sleeps from about 8 pm at night to 7 am the next morning. She is always cranky around her old naptime and then again around dinner time. (Super cranky...it seems like she really needs the sleep but I can't FORCE her to sleep!). Suggestions? Opinions? She is also on a potty strike lately. She was doing well with potty training (very well...diapers only for sleeping for almost a month) with few accidents and then all of the sudden, she refuses to go on the potty and asks for a diaper when she can't hold it anymore. My pediatrician says to be very relaxed about it and she'll go back to the potty on her own but it is frustrating to see her taking steps backwards. She has a baby brother though so I'm wondering if she just wants to be like him...he just had a birthday and has been getting a lot of attention recently.

ANGIE409

Asked by ANGIE409 at 8:58 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My kids stopped taking naps by the time they were 2. I think you might be right about the potty thing. My youngest wanted to wear diapers because according to him "babies wear diapers and I'm momma's baby". I started calling him my little big boy instead of my baby. Just keep praising her and encouraging her to use the big girl potty. It'll pass.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 9:49 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• my 4 yr old daughter has barely stopped taking naps but if i took her to nap she might but often times when i look at the clock i see it's to late and pointless and sometimes when i put her in there like you said she just plays and sometimes she naps. i think each child is an individual and maybe yours doesn't need to nap as much. mine probably does cause we have the baby in her room now and i can hear her cry during the night. i think she is fine as long as you don't mind her not taking naps.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 10:48 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• My DS is almost 2 1/2, and he is on both a nap strike and a potty strike too. I don't know what to do either, but I've been trying to encourage quiet time and not making a big deal about him not being excited about the potty for now. He has only take a few naps in the last couple months, and one of those was on a long car ride. Most of the time he fights sleep, and we just have to put him to bed an hour earlier than it used to be, but I don't want to give up on trying for naps just yet. I think he really still needs them. Hope she starts napping again soon. Good luck!
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 12:04 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• My Gr-DD will be 2 in Feb and she won't take a nap any more for my DD. She won't even stay in her bed and play or have quiet time, so my DD just doesn't even try any more. If they go out she may take a short nap in the car and that helps, but other wise, no naps for this little gal.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 12:41 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Its normal for a 2 year old to not take their daytime naps. My son if at all only takes about 30 minuets goes to bed at 8pm and wakes up in between 630 and 7 am. When I asked his doctor she said that its normal but if we still want that schedule then we have to have a quiet time during the same time as the old nap time. As far as potty training hes doing the same thing. But the doctor said thats normal.
    ashes_leigh

Answer by ashes_leigh at 3:35 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• all tods are diff. maybe it's just time for her.. and she might go back to napping in a month or two..
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 2:51 AM on Nov. 24, 2010