I want to join the Air Force

But my husband is already in the air force and we have a little one...Im in college and I want so badly to enroll into AFROTC and join the Air Force. This is a huge dream for me and I cant give up on it just because I dont qualify on the "dependent" aspects..I have a solid family care plan and I love my daughter but its still my choice. I want to follow my dreams and work hard for my family and I want them to be proud of me...This is my dream in life and its just too hard to throw in the towel on it! Ive been thinking since I cant get a waiver...could I write my congressman? To see if they can help me? All I want to do is serve my country..is that really such a bad thing

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Money & Work

• There's a reason that they dont allow BOTH parents to join. The unthinkable could leave your child an orphan. I admire your desire to want to be a part of something bigger than us, but that plan was put in place for a good reason. Could you get a civilian job with them? Or maybe once your husb. is done w/ his tour or enlistment time, then it could be your turn. Im sure your family will be proud of you whether you are in the AF or not.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:25 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• My husband plans to be in for his whole career..so unfortunately thats not possible. Also I feel like that rule is odd because the Army doesnt have it..They told me to join the Army and I dont want to because yes I want to join but its the AF I want to join and I do want to be with my family still as much as possible..being in the Army would make it near impossible to be stationed together. Ive tried getting into a civilian job on base for 3 years now as an alternative and its just too small of a town and base so theres almost no jobs..people that come here get stuck here for their whole career, so when they retire they get the jobs first before anyone else. It sucks but its the truth even the spouse employment director of the AFRC told me this and her job is helping spouses get jobs. But I still dont think that would satisfy my dream..its not what im really looking for
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:32 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Mothers are supposed to take care of their kids. It's your fault they are here. So it is your responsibilty. We are supposed to do for" our kids." We can do for ourself when they are grown.
    Anonymous

• Now that you have revealed more of the facts, I'm sorry to say, you will have to face some difficults facts of your own now. It is time to focus on your college major & not becoming a major. You will have to find the next best thing that you would like to do w/ your career. Sometimes as parents we need to make these kinds of sacrafices. As moms, we make sacrafices all the time. Some are tougher than others. But it's totally worth it. I dont think you'll regret that you did it since it's for all the right reasons.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:01 AM on Nov. 20, 2010