Where did the resposibility of being a good parent go?

the other night my daughter spent the night with my mom and I went to spend a little time with my husband (he works night shift as a bartender at a bowling alley). anyways it was like almost 2 oclock and this girl (15) was talking to a man up there over the age of 30.. so more than double her age.. and telling him how she would sleep with him.. how if he wanted she would hook up with him and his brother.. etc etc.. going on and on about it. and the whole time i was thinking where the hell is your parents?? my dad would have not allowed me to be out at 2 in the morning at the age of 15... and if i EVER spoke to a boy my age like that .. let alone a man who is twice my age.. he would have beat my ass.. so the man at first was talking to her etc etc.. but then he was like.. youre too young for me (he shouldnt have even spoke to her in that way) but he walked away and when her parents came to get her they acted like they were okay with it and that it wasnt a big deal to pick up their 15 year old daughter from the bowling alley at almost 3 in the morning.. where on earth did teaching youre children morals and curfews go?

Ross2010

Asked by Ross2010 at 9:24 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• This made me very sick to read. IMPO...parents now a days are too busy with their own lives to give a shit about their kids. They don't care who they are with, what they are doing, where they are at, as long as they aren't in their hair, bothering them, interupting their lives, who cares! THIS MAKES ME ANGRY!!!! If you don't care about them, don't friggin' have them!!!!
    cnice1976

Answer by cnice1976 at 9:47 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I think there has always been those kinds of parents and those kinds of kids.... just be glad there is still some good parents ( and kids)
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 9:27 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Well, I read a magazine article once in a parenting magazine that said that parents shouldn't say 'no' to their children as it damages their self esteem. I think too many parents took that article WAY to far.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:27 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Wow - I'm surprised you didn't call the cops. Seriously - and there's a bit of a pun in my attitude about it because there's little I can do about it - But, it kinda seems like good parenting got suffocated in the corner with all the time-outs of the 90s. I took the other road - we spanked in our house , heck there are still times I'd like to spank my kids and they're grown (or so they think). It is sad, really, to see the state of the family moral and ethics workbook these days.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 9:33 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• We shouldn't say no to our children?? What a load of rubbish.
    May I eat like a pig all day? ..... oh yes dear, go eat as much as you like and make yourself sick while at it.
    May I go talk to a stranger? .... yes darling I have no idea what they will do to you but go a head.
    yep I know very sarcastic but seriously, what should we be saying to a child to let them understand we do not want them to do something??

The responsibility for some parents has gone way out the window .... they probably wouldn't understand the word if you threw the definition at them.
    MumaSue

Answer by MumaSue at 9:33 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• That us really disgusting,isn't it? a 15 year old girl haging out and suggesting hooking up with a guy? I am appalled. My girls were home with us ,watching TV or doing homework . They would rather have stuck a hot poker in their eys than do what she was suggesting. They were happy to be home woth Mom and Dad and didn't even KISS a guy until they were in their late teens. Wow....her parents were probably out getting drunk and forgetting they had a kid. As a parent it is your responsibility to know where your kids are all the time and monitor their friends . Oh,and they better ask permission to go out the front door. Really.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 9:48 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Some parents try to be a friend first. That is just wrong. My bf in high school had a boyfriend. The mother would let them have sex there drink, the whole nine yards. I truly don't understand how parents can be like that.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 10:23 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I agree, but their is usaully more to the story with people then we think.
    Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 9:26 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I had a freind in high school that the parents were very free with her. she wasn;t out that late but she was alot of boys and even an older man when she was 16. so its been around for a long time. there will always be those parents and their always be those kids. as long as there are the other kind its a good balance. well, the man and the girl was just talking so there was no illegal activity going on and even though she was propositioning him he did not act on it. maybe she was a cop. like remember 21 jump street when they all were pretending to be high school teens to bust the drug dealers ect. ok i am aging myself but johnny depp is still hot. ok i just want way off subject. lol
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:54 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• lol about johnny depp. but no i know her sister and she went to church with a friend of mine and my husband knows her dad... and we know her sister.. so we know she is for sure 15. but i wasnt really concerned about the illegal activity as much as i was the fact that her parents should have taught her some morals. and not to turn into the girl who will sleep with anyone.. or even think about a man double her age.. at least until she is of age.. and then its her choice. and the fact that she was out so late.. to me a child should not be allowed to have the chance to be in that situation
    Ross2010

Comment by Ross2010 (original poster) at 10:10 PM on Nov. 19, 2010