Why AREN"T you an organ donor?

If I were dead anyways I would definitely want to donate my organs so save someone else. Why not? I don't get it.

jenae_gist

Asked by jenae_gist at 9:25 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Health

• I don't get it either, really. I'm an organ donor. I know there are some people that can't due to religion beliefs, and I guess I can understand that. My husband swears up and down that if you're an organ donor, the doctors won't work as hard to keep you alive if you're close to death. I've heard a lot of people say this, but I don't believe it.

I think that if I'm going to die, knowing that I'll possibly be saving lives at the time of my death and that parts of me will live on would be a comfort to me.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:27 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I am...
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:27 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• because I am going to donate my body to science.
    Gecko85

Answer by Gecko85 at 9:28 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Superstitious mostly.... I'm a marrow donor, if that counts at all :)
    But my family knows what I want despite the fact that I don't want it on my ID
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 9:29 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• LovingSAHMommy, My Df says the same thing!! I think they took an oath to do anything they can to save you. I understand the religious thing too. I still think it's a shame that they could potentially save someone. I have also heard of some people saying they would except their eyes. I would donate my eyes too. Why not? Imagine a child seeing for the first time because you gave them eyes! It's amazing.
    jenae_gist

Comment by jenae_gist (original poster) at 9:32 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I completely agree, OP!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:35 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Gecko85, I mentioned that to my Df too. He said I would just end up being a cadaver for some med school students. But that's okay with me. Not like I'd have something better to do. haha They have to learn somehow.
    jenae_gist

Comment by jenae_gist (original poster) at 9:40 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I am a full organ donor, skin and all. I know people who say the same thing...that police, paramedics, and doctor's won't save you if they see you are an organ donor. Its complete bull. When you are in a car accident for example, their main focus is saving your life. They don't even bother looking for anyone's ID until they have YOU ready to go to the hospital or whatever. Let alone sit there and say "well nevermind she's an organ donor so let's just let her sit here for awhile." My sister's boyfriend is an EMT and my best friend's dad works for the Coroner. They said its a horrible rumor and so untrue. If I'm dead why the hell do I need my organs? They are just going to be burned up in the oven anyways..might as well save sometimes life instead!
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 9:57 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I am and proud of it. None of it will do me any good dead. Why not help someone else?
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 10:17 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Just because you have 'organ donor' on your ID doesn't even give them the legal right to donate your organs. They still need to get permission from your next of kin. This is why it is so important for you to discuss your wishes with your family so they know what your wishes are and that they will carry them out.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:34 AM on Nov. 20, 2010