How do you place limits on screen time for the kids?

Just curious how much time your children spend on tv/movies/video games and what you do to limit that. We set a pass code that we used for over 2 years on our TV and limited their screen time one hour a day. Just this fall we have removed the code and so far so good, the kids always turn it off when asked and ask before they turn on the tv now.

spottedpony

Asked by spottedpony at 9:30 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• We don't have a tv in our living room. It is in family room in the basement and we aren't down there a whole lot. So they never got into the habit of turning it on. Right now they are piled onto the couch in the living room doing something fairly loud. We probably won't turn on a tv until Sunday evening unless we watch a movie tomorrow night. It's just a personal habit DH and I have worked on because we grew up with the tv being on all of the time and didn't want the same for our kids.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:49 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• 2 or 3 hrs
    yankeegirl87

Answer by yankeegirl87 at 9:34 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Mine knows he has to ask to use both computer and tv. When we ask it gets shut off. The computer also has time restrictions on it so he can't sneak on it. I wish the TV did but they don't have that yet - but I have requested it. He thought he'd have the bright idea to watch when he was supposed to be sleeping and got in BIG trouble. He knows he loses it mornings (when he mainly watches tv) if I catch that again. The remote also goes in our room when he goes to bed so the temptation isn't there.
    Anonymous

• Ha ha anonymous, that is what generated the code on our tv...our son had that same bright idea! I found him one Sat. morning at 5 AM playing the Wii and the volume was off of course. LOL. That was when the Wii was new for his birthday and he just wanted to play it all the time.
    spottedpony

Comment by spottedpony (original poster) at 12:18 AM on Nov. 20, 2010