Can you use a regular thermometer to chart BBT?

We moved and I have NO IDEA what happened to my BBT thermometer. We moved to a small town and they SO do not sell BBT thermometers at the local grocery store which is the size of a friggen 7-11 by the way!

Anyways I'm ordering on online but can I use a regular one until then? This is my first post partum cycle so I'm not anticipating ovulation happening any time soon because for years my cycles have been 40-45 days with ovulation occuring after day 20 but I hate to not chart at all in case God decides to throw me a curve ball. You know?

Anyways...Is it okay to use a regular thermometer?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:34 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• I don't think they are accurate enough. Your temp might barely spike during ovulation.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 9:35 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• i was wondering the same thing.
    mrs.sugar

Answer by mrs.sugar at 9:36 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I think BBT read by like 1/10 of a degree so a regular thermometer wouldnt show your temp increase like a basal body thermometer would. You can order one off of Amazon for fairly cheap...I got mine for $8 and its digital
    LindsayLL2010

Answer by LindsayLL2010 at 10:44 PM on Nov. 19, 2010