Do you think it is selfish for a single mom to want to join the army ?

I have a friend who is a single mom of 2 kids and wants to join the army so she can go on tour ( she said it is her dream to travel to other countries) ... She is unable to join ( they will not let her since she has no one to keep her children) ....

I just think it is selfish for someone who already made the choice to have kids to purposly be sent away from them, to purposly reply on someone to raise your children for an unknown amount of time, and to purposly put your life in more danger therefore leaving someone else to raise your kids...

I can understand the benefits of it and I dont think it is so bad for a mom who has a partner at home to take care of the kids considering it....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:39 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• ** and yes i know I have alot of typos..
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:40 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• i agree with you. even if they have a partner in the home, i dont think they should be joining the army. kids need there moms!

PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:40 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• you say they have already denied her entrance....not a surprise the military doesn't want single parents...too hard to get them to go on orders...all of a sudden its no I dont want to go to the war...which is where all the new blood is going folks.....
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 9:45 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I think it's selfish for ANY parent to join the armed forced, single or not...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:46 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I think it's selfish for ANYONE with a family to join the military.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 9:46 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Yes I think it is selfish. Once you have made the decision to have a family, the army option should be out of your mind. Its incredible UNSELFISH to join when its just you that that you have to worry about...but when you have a spouse or little ones who's lives will be devastated to lose you or have you gone for months at a time, it becomes a selfish act. Not to mention this woman doesn't even want to join for the right reasons. She'd pick leaving her children to go "on tour" um no.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 9:53 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• You ladies sure are quick to judge someone. My husband is in the Marines because we could use the benefits. It's something to be proud of. Selfish parents would be sitting on their butts not doing the best they can for their child. My son will not have to worry about college money, dinner on the table or health insurance. My husband is very far from selfish.
    acurran88

Answer by acurran88 at 9:53 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I think it's commendable. We need more people that serve because they want to and not just because it's a steady paycheck in a time when they are hard to come by. I am an Army wife, and we have single parents in our company. But they have a family care plan, either the other parent or grandparents keep the children while they are deployed. It happens a lot in the Army because here just as in any other situation, people become pregnant before they get married sometimes. If she had a family care plan then she would be allowed to enlist and I would be very proud to welcome her to the Army family. And just so you know, the deployment rate has gone WAY down over the last 2 years.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 9:57 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• acurran...she is not wanting to join to benefit her children...she is wanting to join so she can go on "tour" because it is her dream to travel! How in the world is that benefitting the children in any way?
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:03 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• The military has spoken in favor of her children. I agree with the military's decision in this one matter.
    skitNbearsmom

Answer by skitNbearsmom at 10:04 PM on Nov. 19, 2010