What would you do about this ??

My 65 year old mother in law and father in law have 2 "weiner dogs" .... They have had them since they were 8 weeks old ( they are almost a year ) ... they have basically lived in a cage in their kitchen for their whole lives .... they go to the cage and then outside to "potty"... that is it, they dont play with them or nothing... I have tried to talk to them about it because I do not think it is right but she says it is because they are too wild to hold or play with ( but I wonder why ...) They do bark sometimes or whine and she will spray them with water or smack the cage....

Sometimes I go outside to play with them and they are so happy to actually get attention... if we didnt already have our 2 dogs we would bring them home...

The problem is.... they want another dog !!! They got my mom anda dad a boston terrior for an early chrsitmas present... after they got it my mom and dads landlord said she changed her mind and they couldnt keep it... so my MIL said she would take it... I told her my aunt really wants to keep the dog and will take excellent care of him.. but of course she says " no no I dont know how they will treat him, and they will probably jsut get rid of him" i told her they really want him and will keep him and if they ever try to get rid of him I will bring him back to her ( trying to save atleast one dog from her) ... but she said no and yesterday got the dog back........ today when i went up the dog was in a cage beside the others...

My husband thinks it is wrong but is too scared of them to say anything ( basically i am too ) .... I am afraid to do anything because they know it will be us who turns them in...

also is it really better to probably have them put to sleep ( we live in a small poor town... and if dogs go to the pound they get 5 days and then put to sleep ) ... or to just let them live they way they do ...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:50 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Pets

• Wow that is so sad. What the hell is the point of even getting a pet in the first place? Those poor animals. If I were you, I would honestly contact the ASPCA or something and tell them the situation and tell them you can take one of the dogs (or all) or have them find the dogs a good home. That is no life for an innocent animal to lead. It'd be worth the fight and tension in my opinion. The right thing to do would be to speak for those animals who cannot speak for themselves. Poor things.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:01 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• This is a sad situation and there are no easy answers but I agree with ash 9724. Say something...
    Blabbermouth

Answer by Blabbermouth at 10:05 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Sorry, they are caring for the animals, even if it is not the way we would care for them. Therefore, "turning them in" would not have much consequence. They are not being starved, beaten, left without shelter,or water,these are the criteria for animal abuse.

If you were able to hold and play with the dogs, then they are socialized. Are you sure they are not taking the dogs out once you leave? People do crate their pets because they haven't trained them to handle guests very well. And they take the dogs outside, so they are house trained and they must be able to handle and exercise them.

It doesn't add up to me that they worry so much about the well being of this puppy that your parents were unable to keep. And now there is a struggle between them and your aunt for the dog that THEY bought for your mom and dad.

I just wonder if this situation is as bleak as you painted it, sounds like another side to this one.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:28 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I have talked to her and she told me straight out that she just doesnt have the energy for them... and that she does not want them out of their cages unless they are going outside ...

the reason she doesnt want to give the dog to someone else is because her friend / neighbor is who she got the dog from and i guess she thinks she needs to put a show on for him ( that is how she is )
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:46 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• i consider that a type of abuse poor guys.. id try talk them into adopting them out . they can have fuller lives w/ someone else i think
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 4:07 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• poor doggies, why on earth would anyone get dogs just to keep in a crate. They are treating them like fish.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:47 PM on Nov. 20, 2010