To move in with family or not to move in with family..??

So I just asked a question about student loans. I was struck by an idea. Maybe to save money we can move in with family. We were offered to move in before rent free, just help out with bills, food, cleaning etc. Maybe we should this time around.

It'd be my SO's grandparents house. It's the 2 of them, they have a big enough house, 4bedrooms, 4bathrooms, my SO and 6 of his cousins/brothers grew up in the house.

It'd be a shorter commute, no bridge toll, and because we wouldn't be paying for rent we wouldn't have to take out a huge student loan...Maybe just a small one to cover books and such, probably not even that.

Does that sound good? or Too Moochy?

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 9:55 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Home & Garden

• It sounds like an awesome idea. Just set up some ground rules of what they expect from you. Be clear about how much you'll contribute and when. Keep communication open so that you have a good relationship.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 9:09 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Sounds awesome to me. Just make sure to be pleasant and help them with everything. If they love having you there, it's a win win!
    Blabbermouth

Answer by Blabbermouth at 9:57 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• If you have the opportunity & they don't mind, I would take advantage of it. I had to move in w/ my mother to be able to save and pay off student loans and other bills. Now I can get back on my feet and be moved pretty soon. It's been a huge burden lifted off my shoulders and now I can move on and do well. It's not exactly what I planned, but it has worked out really well.
    paige8608

Answer by paige8608 at 9:58 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• If it would remain a happy house [I know living with family for some can break them up] I would go for it. Not only will it help you but your SO grandparents get help as well.
    MumaSue

Answer by MumaSue at 10:02 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• It sounds great as long as all of you get along really well. If you don't then you'll have problems. Offer to help out when you can, and don't let them think that you're trying to live off of them.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:21 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• They are really chill people. Papa is a real estate investor and is always trying to buy or sell a house, and then his grandma is a retire nurse who volunteers now. Their the people who have "Been There Done That" which is positive to be around.
    DomoniqueWS

Comment by DomoniqueWS (original poster) at 12:27 AM on Nov. 20, 2010