How many video game systems does a boy need?

Wondering how many video game systems kids really need these days. All of my 9 year old son's friends have wii, playstation, xbox AND a dsi. Now for Christmas they are all going to be receiving either a new generation i touch or an ipad and the newest playstations. Geez, what ever happend to oranges and books in the stockings? Am I just too old fashioned?

My son has a Wii and a DS...and a full library of great books.

Just wondering what the rest of you think about all these systems under one roof.

spottedpony

Asked by spottedpony at 9:56 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• My kids have a wii. They are wanting an xbox. I guess it's good it doesn't hurt them to want anything. One system is enough.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 10:05 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• We don't have any!! Actually, I take that back. My son has a PS2 that he's using as a DVD player. But no video games at all.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 9:59 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• We have a PS2 and a PS3 ...... and as my dd's teacher says ..... that's enough for me.
    MumaSue

Answer by MumaSue at 9:59 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• We have a Game Cube, PS3, PS2, and the boys both have hand helds... We'll be getting them one for their room too, but I'm not sure which one yet... I don't see a reason for them not to have them, I mean, there are different games for each one and some you can ONLY get on one system or another... We had an XBox360 too, but those break way to easy, so we don't now, and I wish we did...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:02 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• As many as he wants. We have 3 Xbox 360's including 1 slim and 2 elite. We have PS3, pS2, wii, 3 DS's, etc etc. I have a gamer husband and 3 gamer boys and they love their systems.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 10:08 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• zero.... my kids dont like gaming i bought them a leapster when they were younger and enver even been used,, after that i sayd to heck with it and bought thigns they liked!
    2boysmommy.js

Answer by 2boysmommy.js at 10:33 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• "Need" - NONE!!!
    "Want" - as many as they can get IF they are into that.
    We have a N64, N-Game Cube, Wii, PS2, and 4 or 5 DS's floating around the house.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:38 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Well, I am not anti-gaming and we have video games, but I do believe that all these video game choices are not the best for the child's brain. I also strongly feel that it doesn't leave much time in the day for practicing important skills like reading and writing. All in all, I believe there needs to be a balance in a child's life with these things.
    spottedpony

Comment by spottedpony (original poster) at 8:28 PM on Nov. 20, 2010