How do you get your stubborn child to clean their room?

We try reason, a lot, to get my now four year old to clean her room. She must have screamed and cried for an hour before actually doing it. Once she was done, she was fine.

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 10:13 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My dd was the same until we made it a game. Even now she is 6 we still make it a game. We use her soft toys as a football and she gets a score for every catch she makes and every throw into the toy tub she makes. We race around to see who can pick up the most things. Its good exercise for me and of course she gets to 90% of the things before I do. It also wears her out LOL
    MumaSue

Answer by MumaSue at 10:17 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• well I know with my autistic daughter...it takes very simple conscise directions,keep repeating what you want her to do, dont allow her to leave the area until it is done...if she tantrums fine let her and then right back to the task at hand.....thats what I do!
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 10:18 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I help my son clean his room. I don't do it all for him, but will say "Ok, pick up all the cars," etc.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 10:17 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I used to walk in their room with a garbage bag and started picking things up off the floor and putting them in the garbage bag. Oh man did they get busy and pick their stuff up in a hurry. They were afraid that I was actually going to throw their stuff away! Down side is that you do have to be prepared to at least hide it for a week or longer to get the hint across to them. This only happened once that I had to hide something and when it surfaced I for warned them that next time it would disappear for good.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 10:18 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Your other two suggestions would be the wiser to try first. I did. Mine would be more like a last resort type of situation.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 10:19 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• haha i wish i knew ive tried everything.. making it a game, rewards, threatning, not letting them leave their room, throwing toys away... still nothing.... i just do it myself now.. much less stressfull that way
    2boysmommy.js

Answer by 2boysmommy.js at 10:30 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I have also done the trick with the bag. Only I have taken them to goodwill with the kids in the car. Only took a few lost favorite toys for them to learn that if mom has to clean it they aren't getting their stuff back.
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 1:38 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I help my daughter clean her room or I will sit in there & tell her what to pick up next. Kids like direction so instead of saying "go clean your room" say "pick up all the green toys" then when that's done "pick up all the soft toys", etc. It turns it into something more fun then just cleaning.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 4:22 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• She doesent, If I want it clean i have to do it myself or you cant get through the door.
    mach1racer

Answer by mach1racer at 7:36 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• try making it a game. I usually have to help
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 12:34 AM on Nov. 21, 2010