• In the Spotlight:

Do you have a strange food that is a local custom?

In some parts of Maryland people have sauerkraut for Thanksgiving. Now my parents are from Michigan so we never had it. But lots of locals do.

mmmegan38

Asked by mmmegan38 at 10:19 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Food & Drink

• We have to have red chile with our Thanksgiving and Christmas meals. I love red chile!!
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 10:20 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Well a lot of people in the next county over (it's amazing at what a difference it makes to go from one county to another!) really like calf fries. A lot of people don't know what these are - they are battered and deep fried calf testicles. They are the most disgusting thing I have ever eaten. The county seat actually has an annual Calf Fry Festival with a cook off and lots of activities. I have never gone, that's one festival I just can't get into.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:23 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Not so much strange but we have a local soda Johnny Ryan love it ( my version of liquid crack) more than pepsi and I really love pepsi. I guess you have to grow up with it because I have never met anyone not a native who can drink the stuff.
    mrsljamieson

Answer by mrsljamieson at 11:06 PM on Nov. 19, 2010