Would you not buy the house because of this??????

We are currently trying to sell our house to get our son in a better school district, we have a showing this Sunday and .... well we have 3 cats.. some people think cats = pee stains or nasty - my 2 cats are 9-1/2 and never had an accident and my kitten is 2 months and never had an accident but ... I know the stereotype.. So.. if you walked in to a house and saw 3 cats... would that in any way make your mind up not to buy the house??

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 10:24 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I also have three cats, and I can say that it would be a strike against the house. Double standard, I know. Why not put the cats into their carry kennels and put them in the nice warm garage for a couple hours while the house is being shown. Make sure the litter box area is clean, and people will know you have tidy cats--they just won't have to see them jumping on the couches and beds like our unruly three do...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 10:27 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I am a realtor and I don't think it will be a problem if it doesn't smell and you keep it really clean. Hopefully the cats will hide somewhere :-)
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 10:26 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• no not as long as the house is well cleaned and dosent smell like cats or any other odors for that matter
    altora

Answer by altora at 10:27 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I am a Realtor as well and our saying is if you can smell it, you can't sell it. So, that's what I would go by.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:28 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I wouldn't consider it only because my daughter has asthma and cat dander triggers an attack. Even if we did consider buying, we would still have to pull up the carpet (if you have carpet), have new flooring installed, and have the ventilation system professionally cleaned. That's extra expenses to ponder when the competition might be move-in ready. Although if there are no smells and no cats around, how would we know lol.
    skitNbearsmom

Answer by skitNbearsmom at 10:37 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• No, but I really like cats. What I would use to make a judgement would be if I could smell the litter box. To me that says that the house is unclean.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:27 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• It wouldn't bother me a bit, but of course I have cats myself as well as a housedog.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 10:27 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Maybe. If I could smell them or the littler box or saw hair all over the carpet. I am not big on animals in the house, so for me it would just depend.
    My parents would turn around and leave and not even look.

Can you take to a friends or family's house and put the litter boxes in your car so they can't be seen? I would not have them in the house when people come to look. When we were selling our house we took our small dog with us when the realtor brought people over.
    cassey.e

Answer by cassey.e at 10:29 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• as long as the ouse doesnt smell like a litterbox most people will look at it......I have allergys to cats and I might not appreciate them being in the house and I might want you to deep clean the carpets,drapes and such before closing.....or perhaps even a carpet allowance ...it would just depend on how it looks to me.....JMO
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 10:29 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I would definitely get the cats out of there. Three members of my family are allergic to cats. We would walk into the house and immediately be able to tell there was a cat there. I would send them to relatives until the house was sold. Do a complete decatting.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:30 PM on Nov. 19, 2010