Does it make me look less qualified if I am certified in something rather than being fully degreed?

I am thinking about attending college to obtain certificates for business related things.

Would that just make me look lazy for not getting the full degree?

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 10:25 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in

• The degree will give you more employment opportunities, but if you intend to be your own boss that won't be an issue. Whether or not it will make a difference to your potential clients or customers likely depends on the type of business you intend to operate. If you are selling products I couldn't see it would make any difference at all, but if you intend to offer some sort of service then the degree might be more important.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:12 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• technically that graduated Piece of paper is actually important.. Even people I know doing hiring will admit that both people are just as qualified, they have to choice the one with the full degree
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:27 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I don't think it would make you look lazy. You would have shown more initiative than someone who did not. However if there is someone going for the same job as you and had the full degree, they would most likely get the job over you. The strongest applicant is the one who does both. Do what you can afford to do and be your own advocate and you will never be seen as lazy. Good luck.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 10:29 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I know around here the certificates don't mean much but that degree does.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:42 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Such a funny thing, that piece of paper. Case in point my husband. In order to transfer, he has to have an Associate's Degree. It could be in pottery making or whatever, as long as he has his Associate's. One would think that it would be relevant to the job he has to do, but they just want that piece of paper.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:53 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• It depends on what jobs you are applying for. I think for the time being it is fine. You never know, your new potential job may help you pay for tuition for a degree!
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 4:00 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Im not going for a job, nor will I be. I want to open a business but I dont want to spend countless hours in classes that don't pertain to business proprietorship.
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 10:40 PM on Nov. 19, 2010