My midwife suggested I stop drinking juice during my pregnancy.

She said birth weight of babies was increased dramatically by mothers who drank juice and ate ice cream throughout their pregnancy on a regular basis.

I typically drink 8 oz. of 100% juice per day, so she suggested I eat the fruit instead--and get the benefits of fiber instead of just the concentrated natural sugars.

Anyone have other foods that they were told to abstain from during their pregnancy?

GoodyBrook

Asked by GoodyBrook at 10:32 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• She's trying to help you avoid stuff with lots of sugar and little nutrient value. You're better off eating the fruit, because it packs a better nutrient punch, including fiber, for far fewer calories. Yoplait and all those other yogurts are loaded with sugar and artificial colors and sweeteners. You're better off buying plain yogurt (or even better, plain Greek yogurt), and adding some fruit and/or low fat granola. You have more control over the sugar content and sweetness this way, nothing artificial, and way more options. You can do the same things with the cottage cheese.
    You have yourself a great midwife! =) Give her a high five for me!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:35 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I was told to keep a low to no sodium diet to keep from retaining too much water weight.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 10:36 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I was also told to avoid yogurts (like store brand and Yoplait) because they are basically straight artificial sweetener. She recommended I go for organic yogurt or active-culture yogurt or opt for cottage cheese instead...
    GoodyBrook

Comment by GoodyBrook (original poster) at 10:40 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• She explained it right. But was she condescending or nice about it?
    You certainly do not have to never drink a glass of juice ever during your pregnancy but you certainly should be more aware of what you do eat. Besides, starting out now with a healthy diet will help you STAY on a healthy diet and lead to teaching your children to be on a healthy diet as well.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 12:24 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• My dr, never told me i couldn't have juice but he said if i did it would be better to have 100% than the other stuff. But they r right u should stay away from the stuff with a lot of sugar. But eating sweet stuff all the time don't make ur baby too big it's got to do with genes and how much the baby is taking in. i knew ppl who ate sweets all the time and had a normal 6lb baby. But it is always better to eat healthy.
    britt_howard

Answer by britt_howard at 12:53 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• She's right. Juice is basically just liquid sugar.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I agree with her.

I think it's part of the Midwifery Model of Care to help educate women prenatally about how to avoid complications, to have a healthier, safer pregnancy and birth.

Nutrition is probably the single greatest way to do this.
    ;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:18 AM on Nov. 20, 2010