How do I stop my daughter's tantrum?

I have a 21 month old and when she des not get her way, she throws herself on the floor and bangs her head on the floor. She does this about 5-6 times a day. She keeps a bruise in the middle of her forehead from this. I have tried spanking, time out in her crib for 30 minutes with no toys, and I have tried taking away her favorite toy. Also I have tried to just walk away and not pay her any attention, but nothing works. Please help me!

paw3884

Asked by paw3884 at 12:12 PM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That sounds like my dd, she's now 3. We were really getting worried that she was gonna hurt herself. But I always just walked away. I did that with all my others as well. And now they have grown out of it. But like I said when they were throwing their fits, I walk away. also works well, if your getting upset
    Anonymous

• IGNORE..not once or twice all the time. Refuse to look at her or talk to her when throwing a fit. Tell her "I will jot talk to you while you are throwing a fit" Don't give in. It works. I have 4 kids that proves it works. It is a control thing with them. Refuse to play that game.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:31 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I agree with green eyed!!
    that is what I do.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 12:41 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I completely leave the room. She finishes her tantrum but then an hour later she does the same thing.
    paw3884

Answer by paw3884 at 1:19 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Ignore her. It really is the best method. As far as putting her in time out she is really a little young for that and 30 mins is entirely too long time out is 1 min per year.
    Anonymous

• Exactly what GrnEyedGrandma said. But the key is, don't just ignore her once or twice, ignore her EVERY time. As soon as it starts, tell her "I'm not talking to you until you stop acting this way" and walk away from her. Do not look at her, do not talk to her, and do not respond to her until she is acting properly.
    On top of that, once she's done and rational again, talk to her about why it's wrong. Tell her that that's not how to get her way. If she wants or needs something, she should ask politely, and she needs to respect your decision. She should also apologize for the tantrum.
    KLBrown

Answer by KLBrown at 2:12 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• my daughter is only 17 months and she also hits her forehead on the floor when throwing a tantrum. She has been doing this since she was about 8 months. I used to tell her no, I tried picking her up and kissing her, I tried just taking her away from the situation, and nothing has worked better that just walking away and COMPLETELY ignoring her. When she realizes she is doing this and I am gone, she just gets up and plays.
    mamanlove

Answer by mamanlove at 9:30 PM on Nov. 4, 2008