My Kids won't move out!

I have a 29 year old son and a 27 year old daughter who live at home with DH and I. That isn't the worst part. Both have their SO living here too! I honestly think I'm going to go crazy! I fight with my DH almost all the time. He stays at work just so he doesn't have to deal with them or me . My DD said she is saving money to move, but don't see how since she is always borrowing from me! My DS has a GF who is on more medication then anyone I know. They won't left a finger to clean and no matter how mad I get. They ignore me! I feel like I'm gong to go crazy if they don't leave! I want to scream "GET OUT" at the top of my lungs. I'm sorry I just had to vent!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• Well, since you and hubby don't really need as much space, why not put your house on the market and move into a nice cozy little place built for two and not six. It's time your kids grew up and got on their own.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:35 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• give them eviction notices true honest to god notices. They will have 30 days from that, and after that you can legally make them leave (lock them out). Stop perpetuating the problem and solve it. Sorry this one is a time for tough love.
    daisysrdeadly

Answer by daisysrdeadly at 11:35 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I also like scout moms idea
    daisysrdeadly

Answer by daisysrdeadly at 11:36 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I'm sorry, but there is NO WAY my kids would be living with me at those ages! Never in hell! My kids can live at home until they are 19 or until they are out of school (although I do expect them to live on campus while school is in session) which ever comes last... No way in hell I would let that kind of thing go on, it's simply not okay! If I were you, I would simply say, "You all have 90 days, find your own place or live in your car, but get out of my home..."

Yes, I'm a bitch, but seriously, it's time for them to cut the strings!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:38 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Me too, go with Scout mom!

Meanwhile I would be leaving apartment advertisements on top of their pillows every day....or changing the locks perhaps!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:40 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Until you physically kick them out they won't go, you and your DH are enabeling them and allowing them to live with you. Give them a date and tell them they need to be out of home by then. If they aren't out by then you need to make your place a non-happy place to be. Charge them an large rent and make them responsible for their own food/meals or charge them for them.
    tony1638

Answer by tony1638 at 11:43 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Thank you. I know your all right about kicking them out. I need peace of mind and I honestly don't know how things got so bad. I am sipping some tea and seriously thinking of giving them the 90 days to move out, this way if they choose not too, then I will have known I did all I could. I'm at a point in my life where I want it to be just DH and I in the house, a visit is fine, but this over stayed welcome is out of control!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:02 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• It's your house. You don't have to give them 90 days, you don't have to give them 30 days. Heck, you don't have to give them any time, that you would is a kindness on your part. Our sons were raised that they only had a room in our home as long as they were under 22 and in school and even then they had to live on campus durin the school years. Now, they can temporarily come back if they need a place to stay while they get on their feet but they've always known that 30-60 days is the longest they can stay here, after that they need to be on their feet again. Of course, when we bought our house we bought a house that was very snug for 2 adult and 4 children (2 bedrooms, they all shared 1 room, and a den which was their TV room) that we knew would be A) perfect for 2 people later on and B) a place no one would want to come back to live in with us because it's too small & there's no privacy for adult children. We were sneaky. LOL
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 3:18 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• If you had set rules from the beginning, this would not be happening.

Answer by older at 12:01 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• be strong mama... All the women have given great advice. You shouldn't have to have kids still living off of you when your 60. You and your DH need some kind of a life to yourselves. Tough Love....And GOOD LUCK!
    chanelsparkels

Answer by chanelsparkels at 12:54 PM on Nov. 20, 2010