Nap or no nap...that is the question.

OK. I need some advice ladies. My son is three and sleeps well every night. He wakes up between 7:00 and 8:00 am. I have been laying him down for a nap at around 2:00 pm. I usually have to wake him up at about 3:30 or 4:00. In the last week, he has really been fighting me on naps. He keeps saying, "but, I'm not tired...I'm awake!" So, for the last two days, I have let him stay up. He has been doing great (no crankiness), except at night he sometimes nods off before bedtime. Do you think he is just getting used to this new schedule or should I go back to naps? At what age did you stop giving naps?

Thanks!

supermomkell

Asked by supermomkell at 12:14 PM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My daughter quit taking naps just before her 3rd birthday. She usually does fine, but there are times when she starts to fall asleep right after dinner and sometimes if I go out shopping she falls asleep on the way home. So I'd say your son is fine without a nap but if he's falling asleep frequently before bedtime you probably need to move his bedtime up, and maybe dinner too depending on when you eat now. Sometimes also I just give my daughter 'quiet time' during the day where we either just snuggle on the couch or read some books. Either way your son will let you know when he needs more sleep. My daughter will tell me alot of times that she's ready to go to bed before I even tell her it's bedtime. I think all in all it was harder on me when she stopped napping because I lost my 'me time' during the day. :P Good luck!
    princesspalace

Answer by princesspalace at 5:54 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Phasing out naps was different with each of my kids. My son was older when he quit taking naps ( probably about 5 or so and my daughter was 3 or 4) If he's truly not tired maybe he really doesn't need the extra sleep anymore.
    mrswright1170

Answer by mrswright1170 at 12:25 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I had one quit taking naps at 24 mo, one at 38mo and my 16 mo old only takes one short nap a day. Every kid is different. If he says that he is not tired, and doesn't want to take a nap, then don't make him take a nap. He knows at that age if he is tired or not.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 12:35 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• It sounds like he is ready to lose the nap. Keep in mind that he still needs the same amount of sleep in a 24 hour period. So if he doesn't take a nap in the day, you need to tack that lost sleep onto his nighttime sleep... just like he is doing by nodding off before bedtime.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:37 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• My son will be 4 and is doing the same thing. Actually, just now he has decided after 40minutes of trying to get him down for a nap that he just isn't tired. For us, if we take a nap (and 4 out of the 7 days in the week he does), then YAY! but I seem to find that now that he is older, when he wakes up from a nap he is more cranky that the days that he doesn't get one at all. I think it's like you said, they are just getting used to a new schedule and if your kiddo is tired they will let you know. Nothing to get too stressed over :)
    scaruso08

Answer by scaruso08 at 4:51 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Try making him "rest his eyes" for a half hour! Atleast you will get a little break and he can relax or unwind or play quietly by himself for a little while. I have a 4 year old too, and a 2 month old and I almost NEED that little bit of piece and quiet if nothing for myself. I usually plan it when my 2 month old is taking a cat nap in the afternoon. Sometimes my son sleeps, sometimes he just plays...doesn't matter to me.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 5:49 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• My oldest gave up his naps just before he turned 3. It was taking him forever to fall asleep at night, so I just stopped giving him naps.

My next son is almost 3 (in December) and can go without them....but still does better with one as long as it's not past 3 or he takes forever to fall asleep.

My youngest will be 2 in less than 2 weeks and naps maybe 1 1/2 hours a day. If he'd start sleeping in, he'd probably give up the naps...but he keeps getting up at 6am.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:19 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• ok now that he is 3 he physically will not need as many naps. My 3 year old will take a nap if we go to the park in the morning or are just out and about. Otherwise he does not take one and I do not push him. My doctor says it is totaly normal for 3 -4 year olds to not need as many naps, especially boys...
    superchik

Answer by superchik at 6:26 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I have a 2 yr old and a 3 yr old who wake up between 7 and 8 am also. Both used to nap from noon to 3 ish no problem then back to bed by 8 or 9 pm. But my 3 (now almost 4 yr old) wasn't falling asleep til 2 and would wake up at 5 pm and not want to go bed until 10 or 11 pm!!! Ahhhh so I was and still am dealing with the same. I put my daughter in her room for a nap. Logan gets his blanket, a cute little mat, and his favorite ducks and gets to have quiet time with mommy (or daddy). Sometime he will still fall asleep around 1:30 or 2 if he is tired but I wake him up by 3 when my daughter wakes up and it works out well. If he doesn't nap at all I do find that if we go anywhere he falls asleep in the car and is slightly cranky and clingy but i think that this is the best way and for each kids its different. I can definitely relate to you though!!
    LoganAndKennedy

Answer by LoganAndKennedy at 8:13 AM on Nov. 5, 2008