Cat in heat

Ok so this may sound crazy, but to the pet owners out there who have dealt with an indoor cat in heat....how did you keep your sanity? She's just over a year old, and this is her second time that she's fully come in heat. She's very loud with her constant meowing and she is continously bumping her rear against the door. I don't have the money right now to get her fixed(she's indoors) and I'm not sure I want to ever get her fixed because its really painful on the cat and who am I to decide that for her? Anyways, is there something I can do to calm her down some? Like a kitty sleep aid maybe? JK but seriously, is there something I can do to help, other than fixing her or getting her a male cat?

SweetLoveofMine

Asked by SweetLoveofMine at 11:41 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Pets

• I always LMAO when my cat went into heat and started doing crazy things. I guess I'm just too easily amused.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 11:52 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I agree.. Spaying has been proven to have many health benefits to cats as they grow older. Its definitely recommended and if she ever does happen to get out, you wont have to deal with an expensive, even louder litter of kittens. I got my cat spayed through the local Humane Society and it was only $75 and included their first shots.
    As for dealing with the howling and everything, I've never heard of or found anything to help. You just have to wait it out.....another reason spaying is so helpful :)
    CJM_SHM

Answer by CJM_SHM at 11:52 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• You need to spay her. Medical costs for health problems in intact cats can be very high down the road. Plus, you are looking at about 2 more heat cycles, each lasts a couple of weeks! Also, you dont' want a big tomcat spraying around your house either, it STINKS!

Check this out for low cost spaying:

http://www.lovethatcat.com/spayneuter.html
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:39 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• get her fixed it will help her calm down she may gain weight too but thats normal unless she gains more than a pound a week then its another issue .. try get her shots and micro too.. the chip will help in case the kitty finds a way outdoors.. rabies/wormer/fliv and flv tests are all good too b/c she will b around kids :) hope i helped im a cat lady .lol
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 4:05 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Getting her fixed will actually help her. There are tons of places that will do low cost spaying. Get in touch with your local humane shelter and they should have information for you.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 11:48 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Um, I just squirted my cats with water if they happened to go into heat before I had them fixed. Other wise there isn't really anything you can do BUT get them fixed. And you might want to seriously consider it, your cat can get UTI infections, cancer, and can start peeing in areas to mark her territory if not fixed. The cancer and uti infections come from her going into heat and nothing happening.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 11:50 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• It is your responsibility as her owner to decide that. Yes, They go through a major surgery but they are given pain meds and many vets send home the pain meds to keep them comfortable. I have had many spayed( I foster) and they all have done very well. If you don't want to deal with her heat cycle get her spayed! There are low cost spay/neuter clinics nowadays that are affordable. Just because she is indoor is not a good enough reason not to get her spayed. Indoor cats escape from houses all the time.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:15 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I have not heard that there is any home remedy-I feel bad for you, though, and the kitty! Best of luck on what you decide
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 1:23 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Spaying is probably less painful than popping out kittens year after year, and contributing to pet over population. Just spay the cat.
    Piperbaby

Answer by Piperbaby at 9:12 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• There's zero chance of the cat getting out of the house the way I've got things set up and in response to the last poster, there's zero xhance also of the cat getting pregnant in the house. I also didn't ask advice on whether to spay or not. I asked if anyone knew how to deal with the symtoms of a heat cycle without spaying. Read the questions more carefully please before responding. Otherwise, don't repond thank you!
    SweetLoveofMine

Comment by SweetLoveofMine (original poster) at 3:03 AM on Nov. 23, 2010