I feel so terrible about what I did to my son.........

He's learning to rinse out his own hair in the bathtub with out any physical assistance from me. I just tell him where he needs to get the soap out. He poured a cup of water in his ear and I thought it would be a bad thing. So, when I finally got him out and dried off, dressed and his hair dried I put a couple of drops of that swimmer's ear stuff that you buy at the store to help get all the water out. He screamed and cried. I felt so bad about that. The next day I noticed drainage coming from that ear. So I took him to the doctor and they but him on antibiotic ear drops.

So this made me think, is this really safe to use the ear drops you buy in the store to get the water out of your child's ears when they have tubes in? I never really thought about it before. What do you think?

amessageofhope

Asked by amessageofhope at 11:48 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I would no but it's best to ask the doctor.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 12:18 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• we were told to use ear plugs at all times. bath shower swimming. She don't like them but they keep her ears dry. i don't know about the drops.
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 12:05 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Probably not. Ask the doctor.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:52 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• did you ask the Dr when you took him in?
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 12:59 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I would ask the doctor.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 11:49 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• My kids don't have tubes, so I am not sure.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 7:53 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• My son doesn't have tubes. Ask your doc.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 11:31 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• i wouldn't. tube should be kept dry, anything you DROP into the ear (drops or water) has a great path right in there... i would make sure that you let them know that you used those drops as well.
    i would use a cotton swab to dry the outer ear and let the inner ear air dry... i've never used those drops on my kids.
    asil

Answer by asil at 6:46 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I would have talked to your doctor about this, or call the nurse at the dr.'s office and ask them. I'm not familiar with tubes, but would never use ear drops unless necessary. Most contain peroxide, (which yes, does help with ear wax). Which.. well if you've had a cut and had mom put peroxide on it, you know it burns.. with tubes, I imagine it would feel pretty similar.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:17 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I would get him ear plugs so it doesn't happen again.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 10:01 AM on Nov. 28, 2010