At would age would you allow your child to highlight their hair? Boy or Girl?

mrsljamieson

Asked by mrsljamieson at 11:52 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• ’·’·.¸ஐi allowed my 10 yr old daughter to get some color in her hair..it washed out within a few weeks..it was not permenant she thought it was something special thow just for her and me..i didn't have a problem with it as long as it washed out..she is her own little person i swear..she has her own little style and all..at times reminds me of punky brewster...hahahaaa but she's my lil princess...’·’·.¸ஐ
    gracelessstar21

Answer by gracelessstar21 at 11:55 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• When they got to a point where they wanted to. I see no reason to limit how someone chooses to look... if they want it done and it's not going to hurt them - they are free to do it!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:54 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Our older daughter got temp purple highlights for her 16th birthday. It was the first time I let her so I guess 16.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:56 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I honestly don't care, I figure it is better than drinking or doing drugs if they want to color their hair (any color) go for it.
    CarlieJS

Answer by CarlieJS at 11:59 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• My DD did red temporary highlights for Halloween, she is 4. As for permanent probably early teen 12-13.
    daisysrdeadly

Answer by daisysrdeadly at 11:54 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• When my ds was 10 every single one of his teammates from his football team got their hair dyed maroon as sign of spirit & camaraderie so in keeping with that spirit , my son dyed his hair maroon at the age of 10.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 12:05 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• My one DD did play around with coloring her hair around 13, but not too drastic. But when she started with the really ugly hair colors I had to put my foot down, purple, reds, greens, food colors is what she used. Then as she got a little older 16 or so and into blonde and quite pretty I didn't say much because it was tatsefully done and didn't look too bad. The trials and tribulations of being a teen, or better yet, the Mother of one..
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 12:08 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I have three boys, and I don't think I'll have that issue unless it's for team spirit. I was allowed to when I was 14. Worst mistake I ever made. So damaging to your hair. It's like once I started I couldn't stop because the roots grow out! I would at least suggest to a teen wanting to that they use semi-permanent because it gradually fades away and requires much less upkeep.
    Mrs.B3

Answer by Mrs.B3 at 12:09 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I will let my 12 yo dd have me highlight her hair (I am an x hairdresser) when she is at least 13. I highlight my own hair and 'IF" my daughter wanted to have hers highlighted I would at that age but I don't think it's a good idea to have color done till 15 or so as it takes re-touching roots, etc and it takes more time (like once a month or so) when highlighting can go for months inbetween. I have a tom-boy so I don't look for her to ask me for highlights but I wish it would happen later. lol
    cat4458

Answer by cat4458 at 2:02 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I think it looks trashy. No earlier than teens I guess, but I wouldn't really approve.
    Anonymous