Someone please explain this statement to me.

LISBON, Portugal -- Back on the world stage for crucial talks, President Obama on Friday quickly encountered European leaders willing to question a president weakened at home and rebuffed abroad.

Standing next to Obama to address the media after the two met privately, Portugal's president, Anibal Cavaco Silva, complained that the level of U.S. investment in his country is "far from what you would expect."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/11/19/obama-heads-europe-reassure-allies/#ixzz15nNLxNgL

Yes, it's fox news. But where does the president of Portugal get off saying we aren't doing enough for them? I don't get it??? What do we owe them that we should be doing more for them? And they want exports to here up? 

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 11:56 PM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Well, as I understand it Spain's current Prime Minister Zapatero (Socialist), who succeeded conservative Prime Minister Aznar (simply because of the way the public felt he handled the 2004 Madrid Train Bombing--which sounds eerily familiar, huh?!), didn't care much for Bush or the Republican party, and the fact that if McCain won in 2008 there wouldn't be much butt kissing--as McCain would have refused to meet with Zapatero.

So when (socialist) Obama won, I think (socialist) Zapatero thought he would be able to "cash in" on the new leadership, and like many before him, has become disappointed in Obama, having openly supported and sided with the American Democratic Party (even more so the Progressives within).
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:58 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I don't think any more could be added to what Lori said.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:24 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• perhaps they have some kind of treaty or something that calls for more investment in portugal but the US has not put up. not familiar with the relationship
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 1:24 AM on Nov. 20, 2010