My Daughter Wants the Nuva Ring

My daughter is currently on depo and is having sever problems with it lately. She says she wants to switch to the nuva ring. Does anyone have any other recommendations or know anything about the ring?

HippyMomma39

Asked by HippyMomma39 at 10:52 AM on Jul. 5, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• I have been on that before and it did me wonders. No side effects!!! I couldn't find a BC that has ever been right for me except that. All vary though. Discuss it with your ob-gyn.
    perfectkitten

Answer by perfectkitten at 11:29 AM on Jul. 5, 2008

• not only is the nuva ring great because everything is regular to the minute and no side effects but you can't forget it. that was my problem with pills. haven't gained or lost weight. it is wonderful.
    brimarie8

Answer by brimarie8 at 11:36 AM on Jul. 5, 2008

• I hear awful things about depo and that it is supposed to go off the market. Alot of women have numerous miscarriages after they stop depo. I just startes the ring 2 month ago(my doctor suggested I try it since I have a large painful cyst on my ovary and it should dissolve it)and I love it. No break through bleeding or cramps or weight gain... it does give me an upset stomach for the first 2 days after i insert it in though.
    summerbudbud

Answer by summerbudbud at 12:47 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• I had HORRIBLE side effects from Nuva Ring. But it is a relatively low dose of hormone so I would give it a try. Just be aware that it can cause severe side effects. Here was my list.
    -Sores that started out like zits and progressed into nastiness on my inner thighs all the way up - even some in my vagina
    -vaginal tearing
    -insanity - and the worst part of it is I was not aware or it
    -explosive uncontrollable rage
    -constant vaginal bleeding
    -suicidal urges
    -migraines
    -constant vaginal infections
    It was horrible, but if someone can keep an eye on her and make sure it isn't affecting her mentally I would try it. The convenience was nice.
    firstimemom4049

Answer by firstimemom4049 at 4:46 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Oh and one more thing. It's effectivness dramatically drops of you weigh over 150. Doctors don't tell you that, but that is what the manufacturers say.
    firstimemom4049

Answer by firstimemom4049 at 4:47 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• sryle

Answer by sryle at 2:55 PM on Aug. 13, 2008

• I have been on Nuva since February 2007...after switching from Depo...Nuva Ring is much more safe than depo....and even though there are side effects...not many people have them...and it is sooo much easier to remember than a pill...and the low hormones make it a lot better with mood swings...and ever since I have gotten on nuva ring...I have become regular...down to the minute like brimarie8... I start on Wednesday night and end on Sunday night EVERY TIME....good luck and I hope she finds something she is comfortable with...
    Briyawna

Answer by Briyawna at 11:37 PM on Feb. 21, 2009