My 14 year old daughter is pregnant. I don't know what to do or where to start. Any advise is greatly appreciated

hlynn7474

Asked by hlynn7474 at 12:17 PM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• Make sure she goes to the doctors and gets prenatal care. I wish you the best.
    jenniferlee_12

Answer by jenniferlee_12 at 12:18 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• My mom was 14 when she had me. And I was 16 when I got pregnant with my dd. All I can say was I was terrified, I thought my mom was gonna kill me. But she was supportive. That as hard as it may be is important. Just be there for your DD, as much as she'll let you be. Whats done is done..I wish you all the best!
    Anonymous

• one word WOW..

be prepared for another baby. because it will be your responsibility.

Anonymous

• Defitely get her good prenatal care. Make sure the boy's parents know also. Educate your daughter on her options, keeping the baby or giving it up for adoption. Good luck and Best Wishes.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 12:20 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• what are her thoughts? i don't know what you are hoping for... i am pro-choice. my daughter is 17 and i would hate to have her not be able to follow her dreams or freely enjoy the rest of her youth because of having a baby. your daughter isn't even old enough to get a job to support her child. one thing my mom said to me when i was in a bad situation and pregnant was that i could always get pregnant again, but if i have that baby i'm stuck with it, stuck with the father in some capacity, etc. i was not financially or emotionally ready to have a child and am thankful i made the decision not to. ask yourself what you are willing to do and be honest with her. she needs to be prepared to take responsibility either way.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 12:21 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• since i've never been in your shoes, i'm not sure.
    but i got pregnant at 15 and i can't even imagine what my mom felt like when she found out i was.

just support her, that;s the best thing to do. i'm sure you're upset because this wasn't planned, but there's no turning back.
    i wish you and your daughter the best of luck!
    dddebrababy.

Answer by dddebrababy. at 12:21 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Be supportive, yet firm that she needs to take responsibility for her actions. Get her prenatal care and make sure she goes. Answer her questions. Ask her if she'd like to raise the baby and continue going to school or give the baby up for adoption. If you are interested in taking care of the child for her while she is at school, then offer that up to her. Make sure she finishes school no matter what!
    purvislets

Answer by purvislets at 12:22 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• My mother had me at 16 and i had my son by the time i was 17. Its scary and we feel are parents are going to kill us. Just be supportive and let her know her options and if she wants to keep the baby make sure to get her prenatal care and help her as much as possible. Its tough but if you will be there for her it will make all the difference in the world. Good luck
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 12:23 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• The first place to start is gettingher to a Dr to confirm the pregnancy, begin prenantal care and test her for STD's. The next step is helping your daughter make the best decision for a pregnant 14 yr old. Above all...just love her. As hard as this is for you...it is altering her life forever regardless of what her choices are. Leave a line of communication open so she can talk to you. She needs someone reliable to speak with and who can answer questions . Her girlfriend will mostly abandon her if she keeps the pregnancy. The father..unfortunately may not stick around either. Good Luck to you both.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:23 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Wow what a shock to you...I'm sorry. Umm...I've told my kids that if I found out they were pregnant before they got married or to young...I would be upset or mad, but give us time to think about the information we just got. Then I would sit down with them and ask them...what now? What do you want to do? How can you help her? I mean, it's already tough on the girl..whomever the girl is..not just talking about your daughter, just in general...but be there for her and ask her what she wants to do. Really being supportive right now is probably the best thing because she is probably scared as heck. I'm sure you've had that talk with her in the past and now your faced with it....Just do what comes natural to you, in your beliefs or not. I would just hold her and hug her and tell her you will try and help figure out what to do next. I hope the best for you and your daughter. Do whatever you two think is best for your family and her.
    stayhomemom22

Answer by stayhomemom22 at 12:26 PM on Nov. 4, 2008