can i give my one month old baby water?

Heavenbrwneyez

Asked by Heavenbrwneyez at 12:34 AM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Only is the dr says to. Usually they will only say ok if baby is constipated. And even then, its usually an ounce of water mixed with an ounce of prune juice daily. You have to be VERY carful with a baby that young. If you give them more water than that, it can dilute their blood and they can become very sick and/or die.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 12:39 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• careful
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 12:40 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Yes you can give them water just not to much. You dont want them to drink the water and not eat. Constipation is usualy the only time they need a little water mixed with some juice. I was never told by the doc that it had to be prune juice. They told me pear or apple juice will work just fine. But mix it half water and half juice. Also no more then 4oz a day of juice. so mixed with water that would be 8oz total.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 12:42 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• When I had my son who is now 15 my doctor wz very old fashioned and he encouraged me to give the baby water not as a meal replacement but just to drink. He also said that babies are human and if an adult human needs water daily so does a baby human. Water helps flush impurities from the body but they shouldn't drink more than 4oz because baby water has flouride in it and too much can cause upset stomach. Also a one month old baby is too young to have apple, pear or prune juice because that can cause allergic reactions, diarrhea or vomiting because their systems cant handle it. I have 3 children and I gave all of them water as babies. i noticed that when I went a day or two without giving them water they had baby acne and sometimes constipation.
    nikdj3

Answer by nikdj3 at 1:08 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Babies don't need water. Human milk and formula are both *mostly* made of water, so no extra is needed and it can actually be dangerous and cause water intoxication.

So, no... no water for a one month old. You can offer plain water in a sippy after you've started solids.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:12 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• There is already water in formula and breast milk. You should be asking the pediatrician.
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 2:53 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Babies under 6 months should NEVER be given water, unless you have VERY special circumstances. It puts them at risk for not getting the necessary nutrients they need to grow, and they can become malnourished.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:56 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• only if baby gets a fever..
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 3:59 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• There is no need for it, and it could be dangerous. Since breast milk and formula contain all the water baby needs, any additional water can throw off the balance of electrolytes, and harm them. I don't recommend water until solids are in the mix, sometime after 6 mos, and then, offering just an ounce or two at the same time you offer solids, in a sippy cup.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:11 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Babies that young are not supposed to be given water. As answered by Krysta formula and breastmilk contains enough, If you feel your baby needs water speak to the doctor first
    mbrown215

Answer by mbrown215 at 11:44 PM on Nov. 20, 2010