Do your children get an allowance? How much ? Are there performance requirements?

mrsljamieson

Asked by mrsljamieson at 12:40 AM on Nov. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• DS doesn't get an allowance, but we have found a good way for him to earn money when he wants to. I have a HELP WANTED board that I keep in the kitchen. On it I post jobs and how much I pay if it's done right. It lists everything from cleaning the tub, to watching his brother, to cutting the grass. He can then decide how much work he's willing to do. My mother and sister also have boards and my son and neices al work from any of them. You would not believe how much gets done around our houses.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 1:09 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Nope, they get the privilege of being part of the family and having all their needs met and most of their wants. No money exchanges hands and we don't ask for much. When we do ask them to do something we expect it done without complaint. They are also rewarded with video game play time. So they can ask for chores to do in exchange for video game time during the week.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 12:53 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• My children are 15, 12 and 10 and they recieve allowance but it is based on them doing chores, grades and behavior in school. I also give them extra incenetives for doing chores that I did not ask them to do,
    nikdj3

Answer by nikdj3 at 12:54 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• dmbutler...thats a realllllly great idea!!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:20 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• dmbutler has a super idea! I give allowance tomy 12 yo dd and she has this thing with not wanting to do extra for a higher allowance. She will always take the lesser pay cuz she doesn't have to do 'extra'. I think part of it is she doesn't really know what 'extra' would get her more. I am going to make that board tomorrow. Thanks!
    cat4458

Answer by cat4458 at 1:40 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Nope. WHY bribe them for doing what they should be doing? If they are good & behave then within reason I give them things
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 3:02 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• We are just starting to.
    I realize how it's very important!
    They haven't been spoiled or raised around materialism it's really new for us...

Lately they have asked for some books and we've been talking about earning allowance for keeping their chores up.
    They can price what they want from the school book fair or store or where ever and then go home (NO impulse purchases!), and see that it took them four weeks to buy a Magic Treehouse Book, lol. But then they also realize they can get it from the library and save longer to buy their friends Christmas gift~

What a great way to learn about the value of hard-earned money.
    :-)

doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:11 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• YES! My 7 year old son and 4 year old daughte get an allowace of 5 dollars a week as long as they are excellent in school, and they get great grades!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:51 AM on Nov. 20, 2010