Stay at home moms, don't work?

Why is it when you are a stay at home, homeschooling mom you get told that you don't work. I get so frustrated when people say things like, Well she don't work, she is at home all day, she can do it. Or my favorite one. Jeees what did you do all day? oh I don't know your kids were fed, your supper is cooked, your laundry is done, your kids got an education, your bills were paid ect. Yea just because there might be a mess under the table, or toys piled up in the corner don't mean we do nothing all day. ARRRRRRGGGGGGG!

hodgkinrus6

Asked by hodgkinrus6 at 1:09 AM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Money & Work

• Some people have the mindset that all SAHM's do is sleep late, stay in pj's all day sit on the sofa watching soap operas and eating bonbons all day. They do not realize that a SAHM is on the job 24/7 and it IS a full time job to run a household and take care of the kids. It is MY personal belief that EVERY mother is a working mother-- some choose to be home while others have a paying job as well. I am a WAHM and I get that sometimes too, people don't take my job seriously, they think of it as 'that thing I do" so I set them straight and tell them that I work 8hrs a day and have to juggle that around the housework, kids and other appointments.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:26 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I was a stay at home mom for 11 yrs and it was the most rewarding and demanding job I've ever had. There was no down time, no 1 hr lunch breaks. On call 24/7! Those that say being a stay at home mom is easy should be given custody of a 2 & 4 yr. old for a week! They couldn't handle it! So try not to let it get to you! :)
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:25 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I was a stay at home mom for the past year, but recently went back to work. You have to understand that all the stuff you do... is still required by a working mom... and they have to work on top of that. Being able to stay at home with your kids is a luxury... and no.. you're not working. And if there is a mess in your house while you're staying at home.. then you are lazy, especially if there are kids old enough to help clean it up (ie walking). Good luck.
    Flippindadaisie

Answer by Flippindadaisie at 1:29 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I sympathesize!!!!!!! I am at home because of unemployment but that does not mean I sit around and do nothing all day. Hang in there and be safe.
    Tina
    tina454542

Answer by tina454542 at 8:26 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Yes we can sell on Ebay, do money making surveys, telemarketing etc.
    kimaam

Answer by kimaam at 1:24 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I work full time outside the home and I am totally jealous of stay at home moms whether you do outside work from home, home-school etc. I do respect a person's choice if they respect it themselves. When are we going to cut the crap and work together instead of tearing each other down. You don't need my approval or acceptance. I say we all put the big girl panties and start acting like the strong independent woman we are or should be.

mrsljamieson

Answer by mrsljamieson at 1:46 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I was a working mother for 16 years so I well know that when you do work out side your home, you do need to come home and continue on with the all the stuff that come with being a parent. As a out of home worker I found it alot easier to come home at 4;30 at night, get supper on the table, get the older ones to their activities, bring them home, give them a bath and put them to bed. A whole 4 hours with my kids was far from the all day, everyday life that I give them know. So lazy I guess I may be. Now I am able to give my children more time with the one they belong with, rather than at daycare. Where someone else is doing my job. Luxury I would say is having someone else do my job that I should have done for my oldest son. It may have taken me 16 years to get to that point of doing my job here at home., but it is a job that needed to be done for their sake.
    hodgkinrus6

Comment by hodgkinrus6 (original poster) at 1:55 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Yeah, I feel you. I think we all feel the same way. I now work from home, so they can't say that I don't work. :-)

mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 7:14 PM on Nov. 20, 2010