My MIL gives my 3 mo old gravy

I just heard of this and was wondering if he can she get sick or constipated from it/??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:21 AM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nah I started giving both my girls a little gravy or mashed potatoes (really creamy)when they were about 3-4 months old and they were fine. If youre worried about it then maybe add a small amount of Karo syrup to the formula and that will keep them from getting constipated.
    misspriss_1987

Answer by misspriss_1987 at 1:24 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Your baby's digestive system is NOT ready for that crap! Just because that's what they did "back in the day" does not mean that it's o.k. Please ask her not to do that anymore. Your baby will thrive just fine with milk at 3 months old.
    mamax4our

Answer by mamax4our at 1:28 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Well I wouldn't think it would be very good for your baby- as gravy can have a lot of salt in it, as well as added seasonings- which could upset baby's tummy. I would advise you tell mil to not give your child anything but breastmilk/formula as baby does NOT need 'tastes' of people food at 3 months-- there will be plenty of time for 'tastes' later when baby is old enough for food and only AFTER the pediatrician gives the go-ahead for food.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:37 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• It can cause horrible gas and stomach upset. Tell her back off and to stop doing it.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:38 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• 3 months is too early for anything but breastmilk or formula - - and yes, it CAN hurt your child's digestive tract. That doesn't mean that it will, as the many moms here who offered food early and have children who are "just fine" will attest - but it CAN. Print out the AAP guidelines for starting solids and give them to her - they specifically say nothing before 6 months, and they are not alone in that recommendation.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 1:39 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Gravy has too much sodium for a baby to be eating. Tell your pediatrician what you're allowing, she will inform you.
    skitNbearsmom

Answer by skitNbearsmom at 1:51 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Frankly my dear, NO ONE should eat gravy... Of course we all do. But at 3 mos old, her digestive system simply isn't ready for that. It can not only cause her pain and digestive issues now, but it can lead to bigger issues down the road... NOT healthy and NOT okay!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:58 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• do what you see fit with your child i wouldent start foods like that til 6 months .. but it is your child. and sometimes i wish ppl would leave theyre nasy comments out of a simple question..
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 3:58 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Please don't let this continue. A baby this young should have breastmilk or formula only.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:05 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Let her know that while doctors used to recommend starting to feed food to babies this young, it's now considered a bad idea, and to please wait until you say it's OK.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:23 AM on Nov. 20, 2010