how would you love this? TSA security measures

http://www.wbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13534628

By Molly Grantham - bio l email

CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - A Charlotte-area flight attendant and cancer survivor contacted WBTV after she says she was forced to show her prosthetic breast during a pat-down.

Cathy Bossi lives in south Charlotte and has been a flight attendant for the past 32 years, working the past 28 for U.S. Airways.
More News

In early August Bossie was walking through security when she says she was asked to go through the new full body-scanners at Concourse "D" at Charlotte Douglas International.

She reluctantly agreed. As a 3-year breast cancer survivor she says she didn't want the added radiation through her body. But, Bossi says she did agree.

"The T.S.A. Agent told me to put my I.D. on my back," she said. "When I got out of there she said because my I.D. was on my back, I had to go to a personal screening area."

She says two female Charlotte T.S.A. agents took her to a private room and began what she calls an aggressive pat down. She says they stopped when they got around to feeling her right breast… the one where she'd had surgery.

Pat-down Backlash: Child groped during pat-down? What are the rules?

"She put her full hand on my breast and said, 'What is this?'. And I said, 'It's my prosthesis because I've had breast cancer.' And she said, 'Well, you'll need to show me that'."

Cathy was asked to show her prosthetic breast, removing it from her bra.

"I did not take the name of the person at the time because it was just so horrific of an experience, I couldn't believe someone had done that to me. I'm a flight attendant. I was just trying to get to work."

Since then, Cathy has contacted the Legislative Affairs Team, a group through the flight attendant union. She says she wants to see a crackdown on these personal pat downs.

"There are blowers and there are dogs out there that can sniff out bombs," she says. "There's no reason to have somebody's hands touching your body parts."

A T.S.A. representative says agents aren't supposed to remove any prosthetics, but are allowed to ask to see and touch any passenger's prosthetic.

T.S.A. says it will review this matter.

Aasiyah

Asked by Aasiyah at 1:37 AM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• – collapse
    As I have said over and over... You can strip search me in front of 1000 people if it means I know my flight is safer... Had we had security like this 10 years ago, can you imagine how many lives could have been saved? Hell, an entire war could have been stopped... Yeah, I'll show you anything you want, hell, cavity search me if need be, but make sure my flight is safe... Make sure when I strap my children in to their seats, I know I'm going to get them back off that plane in one piece!

Do I like that it's come to this? Of course not. But security has to advance with crime, if it doesn't, no one is safe... And I would rather be in danger of a little embarrassment than in danger of dying...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:28 AM on Nov. 20, 2010 (hidden) + expand

• OP--that extra grope would be due to this...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/7510350/Terrorists-could-use-exploding-breast-implants-to-blow-up-jet.html

"Explosives experts have reportedly said just five ounces of Pentaerythritol Tetrabitrate packed into a breast implant would be enough to blow a “considerable” hole in the side of a jumbo jet.

It would be virtually impossible for airport security scanners to detect the explosive if hidden inside a breast, medics have said"

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:39 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• That's just terrible on so many levels.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 6:42 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• What is this world coming to?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:39 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• what really bothers me about this... is the emotional things that come attached to getting cancer, removing a breast.. getting a prosthetic and then having not only having to deal with your new body image but also having the humilating experience of showing some stranger.. that is insane. perhaps they should start with checking and rechecking those lists and updating them and making the universally availabe at the same time... that woudl be something worth spending money on ..
    Aasiyah

Comment by Aasiyah (original poster) at 9:16 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• As I have said over and over... You can strip search me in front of 1000 people if it means I know my flight is safer... Had we had security like this 10 years ago, can you imagine how many lives could have been saved? Hell, an entire war could have been stopped...
    _______________________________-
    none. Not one. The new procedures wouldn't not have stopped 9/11, they would not have even stopped the underwear bomber. You are attempting to advocated for the loss of everyone's freedom (not only yours) for a pile of horse crap
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:33 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• The reason for these personal pat downs. is to force you to use the X-Ray Machines.

Someone is making BIG MONEY on these machines, they will force you to use them. IT HAS NOT A THING TO DO WITH KEEPING YOU SAFE!!!!!

I am in shock to see that some of you think it is about keeping us safe, are you that dumb?

There are so many frogs boiling right and they don't even feel it?
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 9:47 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• yeah i happen to believe that this is a big money maker as well. think about it.. if they use these machines globally.. the mega mega did i say mega bucks it will bring in.

Aasiyah

Comment by Aasiyah (original poster) at 10:37 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Thats just terrible. This is ridiculous. This is keeping no one safe, just making us look stupid. They can create weapons to kill thousands of people before we even know what is going on, like this machine is keeping anyone safe.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 10:47 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I wonder if I went through security, pregnant, and opted out of the xray...for obvious reasons... When they did the pat down, would they want me to lift my shirt and show my belly? Where does this stop???!!!! I had a dream last night that I had to have a private screening, and I got raped. It's only a matter of time before that happens to someone... trust me.
    Sabrina... you and people like you who don't mind handing over your rights, can HAVE the planes. But when/if they start doing this at train stations and public events, I will protest until my last breath!!!
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 11:38 AM on Nov. 20, 2010