Adoptees~ have you ever lied about your medical history?

I hate going to a new healthcare provider! The mounds of new patient info to fill out before you can be seen are sometimes overwhelming! rrgh

Being adopted adds to the process.
I have got frustrated at times filling out the paperwork (say- when I've gone to a new dentist to have annual exam and cleaning) and, really, the last thing I want to deal with is bringing up ADOPTION. I have at a few times, just lied, and used my ap's medical history.

Have you ever done this to avoid the whole "Adopted-not applicable- I don't know???"

adopteeme

Asked by adopteeme at 1:39 AM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Adoption

• I find it makes it easy to fill out the paper work...there is not much to fill in when you put adoped...
    ChrissyH

Answer by ChrissyH at 8:57 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• No. I was only adopted on one side - my mother is my mother, but I don't have information about my fathers side. But when the questions about my father come up I simply say "I didn't know him" or "I don't have that information" I would never lie, that could lead to wrong treatments or misdiagnoses - both of which could be dangerous... It's better to have NO information than to have the wrong information.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:56 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I'm very disappointed in you Adopteeme. Whenever I see one of those forms I imagine you with your red Sharpie and your words "I am legally barred from knowing my medical history by the US government". My illusion is shattered.

love you sign

onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 7:59 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• :::bows her head in shame::: sorry ott, sometimes I have moments of clairity in wanting to be the good and compliant adoptee who falls in line with adoption. I try...but being a good and happy adoptee just escapes me, and I manage to somehow fudge it up.
    I Know it's wrong to lie..... :(
    must be those bad genes my amom always scolded me about.
    adopteeme

Comment by adopteeme (original poster) at 2:41 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I normally use my mom's family information because I'm not sure about my bio dad.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 2:44 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I'm both adopted and an adoptive parent. I would never lie about medical history, that's a dangerous thing to do. Family history plays a role in the treatment of certain problems, plays a role in the insurance industry, and plays a role in research. The medical community is often attempting to gain better insight into illnesses and risk factors and when people lie about their medical history, they introduce inaccurate input into the facts.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 6:41 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Gay Ellen Brown is a 51-year-old Illinois adoptee who was raised in New Jersey. In 2009, she was diagnosed with several pre-cancerous breast lesions. After these were surgically removed, her doctor requested she have a BRCA DNA test to see if she carried the gene for breast and ovarian cancer. If she did carry the gene, it would guide many decisions about her future treatment and would be important for her children and grandchildren to know.

But Gay Ellen's insurance company refused to pay for the test, citing a company policy that only allowed coverage if there was a demonstrated family history of breast or ovarian cancer. Since Gay Ellen had no way of knowing her family's medical background, she could not prove the need for the genetic analysis. The BRCA test cost over $3,000, and Gay Ellen was unable to personally afford it.

---------------

And lying is dangerous????????
    adopteeme

Comment by adopteeme (original poster) at 4:38 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I would leave it blank and say I don't know. They have no right to ask you about adoption. Don't ever give false info. We had this issue with my sd, her step-father was giving his medical history and guess what, she ended up allergic to anethesia! He was a moron.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 12:26 PM on Dec. 6, 2010