What causes you to spot during pregnancy?

I'm 5wks preg now. And i've had spotting on and off. It's usually a pale pink color. And i only notice it when i wipe. I'm really worried and sometimes i get a twinge of pain in my abdomen maybe a dull ache. Not sure if i would relate that to a cramp. So, i'm a little more than worried. Especially, since it seems that every one is having a miscarriage this month. :o(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:31 AM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Unless the bleeding is heavy, and you're having period-like cramping, you're likely fine. It could have been implantation bleeding at one point, but anytime the cervix is irritated, that can cause spotting, especially with the increased blood flow we have during pregnancy. Are you sexually active right now? That can lead to spotting (not dangerous, no worries!).
    You can ask your midwife/doctor at your first appointment, but I am guessing they won't be too worried about it as long as it's just spotting.
    Good luck!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:10 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Thanks! And no i have not been sexually active since i started spotting.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:12 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• plecenta previa can .. but u can get a ultrasound to detect that i had placental bleeding w/ my first and bled w/ this one too if it gets bad contact the dr and rush to the er
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 3:53 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• You can miscarry without any symptoms at all (missed miscarriage) not to worry you but think you shouldn't be given false info! You may just have been due on your period at around the same time so this can sometimes cause blood loss, it may be implantation bleeding or placenta previa as already mentioned. It is common after sex also, for some women they spot continuously throughout pregnancy and there's no obvious reason and the baby is perfectly fine. Spotting is something where it could be something or nothing and I really hope its nothing for you, good luck xx
    MeAndLo

Answer by MeAndLo at 5:39 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Since your just 5 weeks I'm guessing it could be implantation bleeding. I had implantation bleeding at 5.5 weeks. If you start having severe cramps or start bleeding heavier you might want to go to the er.

ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 7:20 AM on Nov. 20, 2010