tips on saving money

What do you do to save money?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:33 AM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Money & Work

• Cloth diapering (I'm diapering 3 kids on $150), reusable feminine products (cloth pads, or menstrual cup like the Diva Cup), make your own laundry detergent (message me for the recipe I use if you want)
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 2:36 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I would like to cut cable, internet, have one car and one cellphone.
    bratgirln1

Answer by bratgirln1 at 2:45 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Coupons, cook large meals and eat leftovers later, all meals come from home, buy used clothes where possible (we have friends with great taste and kids older than ours), walk/bike instead of drive when possible, take the kids to do free stuff where possible rather than pay, go to the library for books instead of buying, don't go to the mall (too much $$ temptation), if possible, get a cheaper house, get a water filter instead of buying bottled, and use a reusable bottle (like Nalgene or Camelbak) for it, buy in bulk if you can, buy store brands if they're cheaper (and as good).
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:48 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I buy some items in bulk at Costco. Rather than always get a pedicure, sometimes I will get a just a polish change so I can stretch my pedicure another week or two...saves me time and money.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 7:25 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Use the Dollar General, Dollar Tree, and Bills Dollar store. I can get most household items here and save alot of money compared to picking them up at the grocery store. For example, my Dawn refill dish detergent was $3.00 compared to $5.99 at the grocery store.
    Hope this helps.
    Tina
    tina454542

Answer by tina454542 at 8:21 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I buy generic. I cut down the cell phone plan. I am going to downgrade the cable and Internet plan. Unfortunately I have had to cancel life insurance for now- too costly. I use coupons.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 11:48 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Coupons!
    chanelsparkels

Answer by chanelsparkels at 12:15 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Make at least some of your own cleaning products. This has the added bonus of bringing fewer toxins into your home
    This is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non toxic.
    ¼ cup white vinegar
    ¾ cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (antiseptic and smells nice)

Stop buying paper towels and napkins. Cloth napkins are more fun! Pick up cheap cotton towels at your favorite second hand shop. Save money and trees!!

Past the age of 2, the only beverage that humans need is water. Stop buying juice and sodas; buy milks only for cooking and cereal. You can liven up water with slices of fruits and vegetables; make ice cubes with blueberry eyeballs for the kids.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 3:54 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Replace meats with beans, lentils, tofu, seitan, etc. You can save even more money by using dried beans and lentils and making your own seitan.

Cook from scratch! Home cooked foods taste so much better than the nasty boxed stuff, and you will feel better because you are eating healthier foods.

Replace simple grains (white flour, white rice, white pasta, etc.) with whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whole grain breads, etc.). While whole grains may cost more, they have more nutrition and are more filling, so they really are the better value.

Frozen fruits and vegetables have a longer shelf life than fresh and retain their nutrition longer; they are often a better, less expensive option than fresh.

Once or twice a week have breakfast for dinner.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 3:55 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Popular options at my house are: yogurt parfaits with frozen berries and whole grain cereal; veggies omelets with a bit of cheese and whole grain toast; whole grain pancakes with fruit.

Instead of baking a whole batch of cookies, make and freeze cookie dough balls. No one will be tempted to sneak a cookie (you know who you are) and when you do have cookies they will be fresh baked.
    Only go to the grocery store every 8 days. Before you shop, plan all of your meals and snacks for the next 8 days. Write your list, based on what you need to complete your meal plan. Pull any necessary coupons; eat before you go (never go to the grocery store hungry). Most important, buy only what is on your list. The specials at the store are not to save you money; they are to get you to buy items that you don't need. If you won't use it in 3 week, don't buy it!

I have a ton of recipes that are tasty, easy, healthy, family and budget friendly; s