What are my labor pain management options?

I'm pregnant with my 3rd and looking to find out what all my options are for pain relief during labor. With my first i had an epidural and didn't feel anything i was told when to push and when she was born i feel like i was so numb i missed out on the whole experience. So with my second i opted to do it natural using my breathing techniques i felt everything which was a lot more intense then expected since the epidural left me not quit knowing what to expect. So my question is whats in between? Is there a happy medium from no feeling at all and to much felling? Thanks ladies! Samantha

luvin_her24

Asked by luvin_her24 at 2:45 AM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Have you considered hypnobirthing? I've heard nothing but good things about it. It's a natural option that can really help you manage the pain. I plan to use it next time around.
    If you want to use medication, there's Fentanyl (or equivalent used where you are). The policy at the hospital where I delivered was that you could have up to 3 doses, an hour apart, but they won't give it to you if it looks like you're getting close to pushing (it passes to the baby, so the baby would be delivered drugged). The first dose is the most effective. For me, it did NOTHING. Totally not worth it.
    If hypnobirthing isn't your thing, have you read "Birthing From Within" by Pam England? It's an AWESOME book about natural pain management, but it doesn't chastise you if you end up using medications or have a c-section. It's worth reading for sure.
    You can ask your doctor what the policies are where you'll deliver. Good luck!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:08 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• WATER! labor in a tub or shower. Get a Doula.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 3:42 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I second the water birth. It is often refered to as the "midwife's epidural"

Every labor is different though, what you felt the second time might not be as intense the third time. There are also a lot of things that determine pain preception, with the main ones being fear (of birth, of pain, of uncertianty), or trying to "escape" labor rather then embrace it and work with your body. A doula is a great resource during labor and can greatly help you with both of these major contributers. :)
    squish

Answer by squish at 3:46 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• water helps w/ pain warm water.. or massage also u can avoid AVOID! lying down as much as possible ppl say that hinders labor and 4 those who have back labor say it makes it worse
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 3:51 AM on Nov. 20, 2010