Christmas vs. Happy Holidays: WHY???

Why? Why does it offend Christians when people say Happy Holidays? I say Happy Holidays because, guess what, I'm NOT Christian. It's much easier than saying Merry Christma-hanna-kwanza-yule every freaking time.

Not everyone in the world is Christian.

We don't all celebrate your holidays. Why are you allowed to say Merry Christmas to EVERYONE (even people who are clearly sporting a pentagram or a Star of David) but we can't say Happy Holidays without being freaked out upon?

AnnieMcD

Asked by AnnieMcD at 4:59 AM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Good question. Would a Christian say Happy Kwanza or Merry Yule to anyone else?
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 5:14 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I say Merry Christmas - I'm a Christian, and that is the holiday I celebrate. I am NOT offended when I hear "Happy Holiday" or any other seasonally specific wish, because I assume that it's said in the same spirit of wishing goodwill for someone in which I say Merry Christmas.

However, I do get irritated when I hear people get all bent out of shape and insist that I not be allowed to say Merry Christmas, because I could be offending someone. I believe in tolerance and respect for others and their views, and I believe that tolerance and respect should be extended to mine, as well.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:30 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• See, and I think this is something that people don't realize. You've experienced people getting bent out of shape when you say "merry christmas" instead of "happy holidays". I've had people literally yelling at me for wishing them a "happy holiday season".

I suppose I just wish that fewer people would get bent out of shape for either thing. It's a pleasant greeting. If fewer people got offended over stupid shit, the world would be a much happier place...
    AnnieMcD

Comment by AnnieMcD (original poster) at 5:37 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I agree with the pp, I don't think I have ever heard anyone complain about saying Happy Holidays but I get sick and tired of hearing, every year, about how we shouldn't say Merry Christmas! I am a Christian but I am far from religious. I am all for the celebration of whatever holiday you are celebrating but it gets annoying how every year it gets worse and worse!
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 5:40 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I agree - people need to accept that someone was wishing them well, accept it in the spirit in which is was said (regardless of the specific holiday said), and simply say "thank you" or wish them a Merry or Happy ____ back - using the phrase of your preference.

But you know, one of my grandma's sayings that I really like is "when you're looking for offense, you're sure to find it..." I think too many people are looking to be offended. At this rate, I think people are just going to stop wishing others well entirely.... :-(
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:43 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• You can say Happy holidays and people do, I just happen to like to say Merry Christmas. I've had people upset because I say Merry Christmas instead of Happy holiday, but why shouldn't I be allowed to say Christmas?  I don't let it bother me there are just some grumpy people in the world.

I would love if someone wished me a Happy Hanukkah or a blessed Ramadan even if I don't practice these religions it's still meant as a loving gesture. To me the name of the holiday has a more emotional connection so I like hearing it. Happy holidays is not as meaningful but I still like to hear it. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:49 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I agree plus I don't think every Christian realizes their sacred holiday was built on top of an already existing pagan holiday. It really shouldn't bother them or be of any concern. It isn't a Christian only holiday, but I don't think people are always educated in that, if they did, they might be more understanding and ease up.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 6:04 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• "Happy Holidays" does not bother me as a Christian, and I have never heard anyone complain about being told "Merry Christmas!". In my day to day life this is not an issue. People blow these things out of proportion. This holiday season is all about goodwill--no matter your religion or lack thereof...
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 6:55 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I really don't give a rip what people say, but to tell a Christian that they shouldn't say "Merry Christmas is just WRONG". Really. Would you tell a Jewish individual not to say "Happy Hanukkah" Would you tell an African American not to say "Happy Kwanzaa"? Would you tell any other religions not to say their particular holiday greeting to anyone? It seems to me that most people take their "freedom of religion" clause in the Constitution to mean "Freedom from Christianity".

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:55 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I think you misunderstand Layh41407. Nobody is saying that Christians shouldn't be able to say Merry Christmas. What I'm saying is that I don't understand why so many Christians insist that I (and every other person in the service professions, or in the world as a whole) SHOULD be required to say Merry Christmas.

I have been verbally attacked for not saying merry Christmas. Multiple times. I am not a Christian. I just wonder why Christians should be able to say "Merry christmas" to everyone, no matter their faith, but if I were to wish one a Happy Yule, Happy Hannukah, or even the dreaded "happy holidays" suddenly I am doing something wrong.
    AnnieMcD

Comment by AnnieMcD (original poster) at 8:04 AM on Nov. 20, 2010