Are your children helping prepare Thanksgiving Dinner?

Prayerpartner

Asked by Prayerpartner at 5:13 AM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Yes. It's something they've helped with since they were little. Our family works together to prepare the meal, and since we've never lived close enough to family to spend Thanksgiving with them, we invite friends, single military members that work with my husband, etc over as well. Sometimes they bring a dish or dishes, and sometimes they don't. Either way, they're welcome.

Our kids also help us prepare and serve Thanksgiving dinner (though usually it's a day or two before Thanksgiving) for the Sailors that live in the barracks.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:33 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• oh - lol - I should add - it's not just our family that does dinner for the Sailors in the barracks - it's a lot of the families at my dh's command that does it together.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:34 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Yes, they are! My son is very excited to help, because he's been practicing his knife-work and is at the point where he can chop vegetables independently. I'm going to help my daughter make her very first apple pie. Both of them are going to learn a lot this week, I have cooking activities planned, and my sister wants them to help her make Italian Wedding Soup for the first course. For the last month, the kids and I have been watching Alton Brown's Good Eats together and making notes on techniques like brining a turkey, making homemade stock and crafting that perfect stuffing. It's going to be a lot of fun.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 8:50 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• yes, I let kids make their fav side dish, I love to cook with my kids
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 11:02 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Yes indeedy! My two sons, now grown & I prepare the meal. They started when they were young, and it has become a tradition. My daughter-in-law and soon to be daughter-in-law prepare the pies and cookies.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:03 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Heck no! She is 2 and would just be in the way and make a big mess. Yet, I'm not cooking anything for Thanksgiving either b/c my mom loves doing it all and won't let me.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 12:58 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Not the day of, but he helps with the things that will get done ahead of time during the week. The day of, DH kicks just about everyone out of the kitchen while he cooks (3 sisters, and he's the only one that ever learned their grandma's gravy secrets).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:59 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• they make the pies with my mom
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 8:32 PM on Nov. 20, 2010