• In the Spotlight:

When do they announce who will be president?

I just turned 18 and know nothing about politics or anything...but i was just wondering when will we know who won??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:43 PM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• The first polls close at 6 pm eastern. Returns should be in after that. It will be after midnight before everything is counted. Then if we run into something like in 2000, it might be weeks! lol
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 12:47 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Yeah, that's what I was about to say Marsha.

We could know by midnight...or we might not know for another month LMAO! Who knows.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:49 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• They will begin reporting the results as the polls close starting in eastern time and working their way west because of the differences in time zones. I believe the magic number is 270 electoral votes before a candidate can assume victory, so watch those numbers!! I'll be up late tonight! lol
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 1:07 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I'm hoping we'll know late tonight..
    I've never been so excited about an election!
    msmoody

Answer by msmoody at 1:43 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• As has been said, as soon as all the polls close and all the votes have been counted the president will be announced. It can take a while for that to happen, in previous years it has been after midnight or later.
    rissa_doll

Answer by rissa_doll at 2:09 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Not soon enough for me! :)
    Anonymous