Struggling to manage

My 4yr boy is autistic, my 5yo daughter has delayed speech (apparently) , my son gets away with so much and my daughters learned this, she makes him do things knowing he wont get punished like she will.. example.. she makes him climb in to the cupboards for a biscuit after ive said no.. or makes him sneak in the fridge for milk.. he is clever and can unlock all the safety locks in the house an i can sumtimes hear her tellin him to do it bcuz she wants something

snugl.buniez

Asked by snugl.buniez at 5:15 AM on Nov. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• What's the question? Are you wanting suggestions on how to stop this? Do you punish her for talking him into doing it? What about getting locks with a key? Or a comonation? Or ask a lock smith what he recommends. The other thing you can do is change the places you keep the foods. We have a freezer in another room. We also keep food in a pantry with the lock too high for children to reach. Put some healty snacks where they can have them so they don't feel they have to sneak around to get them. Seperate them for awhile. Keep him with you. Although that can be taxing on you after awhile. Only other thing is to keep the daughter busy doing other things so she isn't thinking of food. Also give her water to fill her up between meals. Hope some of these ideas help.....
    Prayerpartner

Answer by Prayerpartner at 5:37 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• i shout at them both when they do it, but it kinda goes over his head a little bit and she gets rather upset, he usually takes yoghurts for himself but she prefers biscuits. ive got different kinda locks all over the place. ive got a safety worker shes applied for number locks n motion sensors. i jus feel bad that i have to treat them different and my daughters doin so much to get attention but shes gettin bad attention. my daughter loves drawin that distracts her from bein naughty but she has a low attention span..xx
    snugl.buniez

Comment by snugl.buniez (original poster) at 5:48 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Make sure you give positive attention to both children. They both need to feel special and have one on one time with you and your SO. Do activities with each and let them know they are loved.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:55 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• i dont have alone time with my daughter bcuz noone will help with my son, so many family members n friends are on hand for my daughter but bcuz my son is autistic noone can handle him :( ive had four nights away from him in 4years, guna have my 5th one next weekend cuz had to book it few weeks in advance with their dad.! n all im guna do is sit at my mums with a drink n dvd
    snugl.buniez

Comment by snugl.buniez (original poster) at 5:58 AM on Nov. 20, 2010