Virgin birth...would we believe it today?

If not, then why do we believe it happened 2000 yrs ago from a society much less advanced and educated than the world is today?

Yet if some 15YO girl tried to claim that today...pfft...right.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:31 AM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't believe it can't help to think that people who actually do are a bit simple. -I'd never speak that out loud, because you don't degrade what somebody else believes, but that's the beauty of having the anon-button. And if we can't say it here, where else?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:40 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I think a virgin birth would be easier to believe these days because turkey basters weren't invented 2000 years ago.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:25 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Would I believe it after reading it in some tabloid? No. Would I believe it if doctors were able to prove she was a virgin? Yes... Although HIGHLY unlikely, there IS president for something like this... Technically actual intercourse isn't needed for pregnancy, instead male orgasm and a female presence is... Although your chances of becoming pregnant that way are beyond slim, it is technically possible...

But like I said, it would take quite a bit to actually convince me of the truth. However, I never put miracle to far outside the realm of possible. The fates do what needs to be done to make things happen... Virgin birth has shown up WAY to many times in mythology (and even non-religious historical accounts) to be completely unbelievable.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:54 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I don't believe it happened then either; but the difference is today there would be plenty of ways to disprove it. I suppose back in Mary's day, a midwife could have disproven it as well, but if everyone was willing to take her at her word and nobody wanted to check... well, you know the story. And honestly, the bible has been adjusted and altered so many times in 2000 years, it wouldn't surprise me if Mary's being a virgin was added by some clergymen hundreds of years after Jesus was born, to make the story sound better.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 7:05 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• there are virgin births in other stories too...

and how people actually believe it"(now) is beyond me
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:13 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I do believe in the virgin birth of Jesus. I would not believe it today. There is no need for it to happen today because Jesus, the Messiah has already been born. This fulfilled the old testament prophesy.

^^^Yep. I studied that for anyone to even fulfill 7 or 8 prophecies was about a trillion (xxxxxx) chance and Jesus fulfilled all of them, ALL!
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 2:11 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I don't.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 6:34 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• And why doesn't god speak through people and show them signs anymore? If someone today said god was talking to him and he was told to do a certain thing everyone would think he was crazy. There is a lot that doesn't make sense but they always have some kind of excuse and when they run out of excuses to your questions they tell you the devil is trying to get to you because your curious or something.
    kayaiden8907

Answer by kayaiden8907 at 6:47 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Not all Christians do believe she was literally a virgin. The word virgin could be translated to maid or young woman/girl. Her being portrayed as a virgin could signify her otherwise pure nature, reflecting perhaps religious devotion or some other way of purity. One can be religious without accepting things as literal. Literalism was never intended to be the point anyway....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:26 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I do believe in the virgin birth of Jesus. I would not believe it today. There is no need for it to happen today because Jesus, the Messiah has already been born. This fulfilled the old testament prophesy. I accept that what is written in the 4 gospels of the new testament are true and literal.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 11:22 AM on Nov. 20, 2010