Why is the Bible always adjusted when it gets disproven?

why can't they just accept that it isn't all knowing?

whenever science and the human mind learn something new, the Christians always adjust their story to fit how things are now that Whatever it is has been proven beyond a doubt (ie the planet being round, not being the center of the universe etc)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:40 AM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• And let's not even talk about Noah and his impossible ark. One error should refute the truthfulness of the bible. Yet it is riddled with errors and people still believe. Ridiculous!!

Answer by witchqueen 7 minutes
    ---------------------------------------------
    I know! It is ridiculous. and I think they are afraid to question the authenticity , worrying that a "bolt of lightning" will strike them dead if they don't agree with the Bible completely.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:42 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I think it's the opposite.It's adjusted when someone is trying to disprove it.

(And nowhere in the Bible does it say that the earth is flat or it's the center of the universe.)
    GingerKitten

Answer by GingerKitten at 11:41 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I think if you check, the bible has been ahead of science in many areas. In your statement you give the example that 'the planet being round' where in the bible does it not agree with this? What 'stories' have we adjusted? The bible is as it has been for thousands of years. Yet science has changed over and over again. Remember scientist once thought the earth was flat, not the bible. And why ask as anonymous?
    chris219

Answer by chris219 at 7:12 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• God has opened the eyes of some people to know the truth, and some people he hasn't. If they don't know the truth and/or don't believe, it will be hard for them to understand why someone can just "accept" what the Bible says as truth. I believe every word in the Bible is God breathed and true, but I do know some people that "just don't get it." I pray for them, that God would open their eyes so they can see His truths.
    Annastacialynn

Answer by Annastacialynn at 8:08 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• the Bible hasn't been 'adjusted'..its been translated. look up the word 'translate'..not synonymous with 'adjust'.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:43 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• It is true that religion is meant to control, IMO.. But there is a vast difference between religion and a relationship witn God.. Religion is MAN MADE, not from God..
    Ren_Ren

Answer by Ren_Ren at 9:25 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Because instead of reading the closest thing we have to the original and understanding what the Bible really says, people are just sheep and do whatever their modern translations say. It is easy to change your stance on something when simply picking up a different translation can give you that.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:25 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• You mean like changing animals in the OT such as the Unicorn and Cockatrice- which the ancients believed were real and are now proven NOT to be- into other animals in the verses so as to not look wrong and ridiculous? Because religion is all about control and being right and that 'lost in translation' excuse will always work on those who for some reason think they need to believe.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:02 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Any version of the Bible is interpretation & translation by MEN!! It has gone through so many interpretations, translations, books have been removed - particularly when King James of England ordered a new translation of the Bible. If you are a follower of the Bible, I think the important thing is to focus on the MAIN tenants of the Bible. How to be a good person, how to treat others.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 9:32 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I think it's a way of covering ass.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:27 AM on Nov. 22, 2010