in the future....

will advanced education eventually spell the end of organized religion?

as human knowledge of how things work, religious tales would seem less likely.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:48 AM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Interesting question. I don't know that it will ever happen, but you might be interested in the idea of post-theism. Basically they view religion as serving a purpose throughout human development, but that we will eventually evolve beyond the need for it. They argue that once non-theistic morality has reached maturity, theism will have fulfilled its function and may be discarded. It addresses some of the criticisms people have of atheism. I'm not sure what I think about it yet, but I've been reading about this idea a lot lately.

"Post-theism is a variant of non-theism that proposes to have not so much rejected theism as rendered it obsolete, that God belongs to a stage of human development now past. As such, it is the opposite of anti-theism within non-theism. The term appears in Christian liberal theology and Post-christianity." (from Wikipedia and a few other websites)
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 12:14 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• No, the more I know about how complex the world is the more my faith is confirmed to me. To me God created a world that follows the laws of math and physics.  The orderly nature of the universe is Gods work.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:51 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• You seem to take the point that faith and intellect are mutually exclusive. Faith is not an uneducated, irrational, blind response. Intellectual thought and theory are not infallible. Also, I don't believe one should confuse faith in God with religion. Because you can one without the other. God is infallible, man made religion is not. Wisdom and faith are learned and unseen attributes of the mind and heart. Knowledge gained from education is temporary, theoretical, and subjective in many cases. For those who accept the bible as is, through faith, those "tales" are as real to us as George Washington, Magellan or Galileo. As brilliant of a mind as Einstein had, even he acknowledged that there is something greater than human intellect.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 11:06 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• No because religion offers what science can not hope. It takes a lot to face a lot of life's injustes head with no hope of something bigger making it fair in the end. Some people can do it, but honestly it sucks.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 10:11 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Go to bed already.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:50 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I don't think religion will ever vanish entirely. I will change and evolve, but I think there will always be people who find a connection to the Divine through it. I think the reason why so many believe that science will eventually "disprove" religion is because many don't realize that religion isn't about the literal words on the page. Its about a transcendent truth. And religion can be compatible with science, as long as one doesn't have a literalistic way of reading and understanding it. there are many who find their faith strengthened by their ability to understand the world around us through science. Look at many of the prominent scientists. There are many who do find their faith confirmed through their work. If science were the "cure", so to speak, of religion, there wouldn't be scientists, especially those in higher levels of credibility and reputation within the scientific community, who still believe...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:03 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• We can only hope so. I hope someday today's organized religions are taught in school the same way we learned Greek mythology... things people used to believe which now are regarded as cool fictional stories and nothing else.

How ignorant of you. I realize, not everyone has enough knowledge of the world around them to understand that what they consider "myths" are actually active religions still practiced around the world on every continent. But you are quite off base there. There are Hellenists everywhere today, and countless eclectic pagans who include some of the Hellenic gods in their own practice as well. The same is true of any other ancient faith you wish to defame. I really wish people would quit disguising their hatred for a single faith (Christianity) as a misguided belief that all other religions are already dead. Just put on your big girl panties and admit you hate Christians, instead of us into it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:45 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I don't know. I think many people have faith in a god for more reasons than to explain the universe and how things work. I think many people have faith to help through their day to day lives...the strengthen their hearts and minds on humanities level. I think we will get more answers to our Universe and it's "birth" but I don't think it can eradicate the faith that resides in ones' heart.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 12:46 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• *It will change... lol sorry, still not fully awake. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:04 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Nope....
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:06 PM on Nov. 20, 2010