Child leashes

I bought my son an Elmo back pack looking thing that went around him kind of like a harness and it had a leash because I wanted to try it out for when we were in crowded places. Usually when we go to Wal Mart I put him in the buggy but he wants to get out and run around but I can't let him do that. So I let him try out his Elmo thing and he loved it. Now every time we go to the store or anything he wants to wear his Elmo. I don't mind because it gives him the freedom to walk but I can make sure he doesn't run away or get into much. Apparently a lot of people look at this badly but I feel like if he likes it and I'm using it in an appropriate way and he is safe than its fine. Does anyone have one of these also?

kayaiden8907

Asked by kayaiden8907 at 6:57 AM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son has a monkey harness and he used to LOVE it. Now he will wear it on occasion, but chooses to walk with us unattached by himself. I haven't got any negative comments from people, mostly a "where did you buy that?" with them looking at their children and saying "guess what you're getting!"
    Not.So.Virginal

Answer by Not.So.Virginal at 10:05 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• They are not the mommy's you are. It was made for the reasons you said. And in really crowded places I wish I had one, it scares me when they leave my side.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 7:49 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• to each their own...i don't use a leash on my kids and my dd walks with me in the store and dosen't try to run off, never has..she knows she'll be in big trouble if she runs away from me but....if the leash worls for you and your kid, go for it...just not my "thing"
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:27 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I think everyone has seen someone using a child leash inappropriately, and we react to it negatively for that reason. If you're using it appropriately, it's working for you, and your son likes it, don't worry about the stares. As with anything, you have to do what works for you and your family.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:10 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• we had one for my daughter and she will where it fine but the only down fall is she wants to hold the monkeys tail!!! lol and i dont think they are a bad thing you are just wanting to keep your child safe and if hes anything like my busy body alivia then i dont blame you at all. it would be different if you were jerking and pulling him around like hes a dog but im sure thats not the case!
    BetsyBoop2003

Answer by BetsyBoop2003 at 8:21 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• It is just like a stroller except with a "leash" they can walk and be restrained at the same time.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:22 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I have used it and my daughter HATED IT. I think you are one lucky woman! lol I don't look down on it at all. Anyone who does should mind their own business. I have 2 children and twins on the way.. you better believe I am going to add those to my list of must haves lol
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 8:25 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• UGGHH, I hate "child" leashes! I had one when I was little! I don't use one for my little girl. If she can't stay by my side, she is in the buggy. If she can't stay by my side or in the buggy, we don't go there.
    Mindy8210

Answer by Mindy8210 at 2:06 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I have used a leash on all 3 of my kids and still get comments both good and bad. My 3y/o likes to act like a dog and I get some pretty mean stares. Just smile at the ones that give you a mean look and go on.
    sheba1000

Answer by sheba1000 at 7:19 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Thanks :) this makes me feel better. Most of the people around here don't pay much attention to it and some think it's cute. It's just something me and my spouse had disagreements on and I wanted a second opinion.
    kayaiden8907

Comment by kayaiden8907 (original poster) at 8:25 AM on Nov. 20, 2010